Easy to kill by Agatha Christie

Easy to kill (original 1938; edition 1939)

by Agatha Christie

2,353444,985 (3.56)1 / 69
Murder is easy when it appears to be no more than a series of unrelated, fatal accidents. Mrs. Pinkerton meets Luke Fitzwilliam, a retired police officer, and tells him of a string of deaths in her hometown which she believes to be murders. Initially dismissive, he becomes intrigued when Mrs. Pinkerton is killed in a hit-and-run accident and the man she claims would be the next victim turns up dead. Can Luke find the murderer before another person, perhaps even himself, becomes the next victim?… (more)
Member:sandypiper
Title:Easy to kill
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:New York : Collier, ©1939.

Murder Is Easy by Agatha Christie (1938)

English (37)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (44)
I broke the unwritten rule and read the end before I finished. But I'm glad I did. Here's why:

This book was, after a few of her fast paced, early ones, a nice return to her typical mystery. There was the ominous foreboding, the small town, the nasty characters, and the usually red herrings. Not to mention the world weary hero/veteran(because everyone was one back then) and the tough as nails counterpart.

And I peeped at the end and ruined it. But! Not really. Because then I was able to appreciate the deftness with which Christie plots her book. I saw the way she hides her murderer like Hitchcock--- in plain sight. We just, in this case, succumb to our natural positive biases---"it can't be so-and-so. Because elderly/religious/cat-lovers/artists aren't really dangerous" (cause we totally should have learned about bias this year). So I'm glad I looked. Because it made me notice my issues and also admire her skills just a tiny bit more. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Interesting premise. Did not expect the twist until just before, which was nice. Lots of listing of suspects and puzzling through motives and circumstances, which after a while got a bit tiring. Also Christie is pretty terrible when it comes to romance plotlines, unfortunately. Overall, perfectly serviceable. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
This is not one of Agatha Christie's better books. It is far from the best book of the Sergeant Battle series. The first two books involving Sergeant Battle (The Secret of Chimneys and The Seven Dials Mystery) and were hilariously funny and had all sorts of twists and turns and a cute romance. This one does have twists (Agatha Christie is good at that). It has a romance that was not at all cute. It has virtually no humor at all. I don't think it's just that I was in a crummy mood when I read it; it really is different.

To be fair, it's only vaguely related to the other Sergeant Battle mysteries, and is not always included with them as part of the series. Sergeant Battle s a very minor character, only coming in at the very end. Too bad, because the main character is not particularly lovable nor particularly bright.

I would highly recommend the first two Sergeant Battle mysteries rather than this one. This one is ok as a mystery (Agatha Christie doesn't write stuff that's *bad*), but it's only ok. Read this one only if you ran out of other books by Christie. ( )
  garyrholt | Dec 23, 2020 |
Luke Fitzwilliam falls into conversation on a train with an old lady, who tells him that she is going to Scotland Yard to report her suspicions that a serial killer is operating in her village. When the old lady meets with a fatal accident in London, Luke decides to investigate matters for himself.

What with the disappearing train and the old lady's yarn, I did wonder if we'd wandered into Michael Innes territory. But no, we were safe in Christie land, and very enjoyable it was too. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Nov 28, 2020 |
this was, as the english might say, such fun. i really enjoyed this. the writing was crisp and often funny, especially early on. i haven't read many christie's, but this is my favorite so far.

i never really thought the killer could or would be any of the main suspects, but i thought for most of the book that it might well be lord whitfield. then it came too far from the end of the book that luke also thought it was lord whitfield, so i had no idea who it was, and although i didn't suspect miss waynflete of murder, i was somehow quite uneasy when bridget was left alone with her.

i wasn't super excited by the "romance" in the book but it was harmless and very much an aside anyway. i suppose that it wasn't as satisfying a part of the book as the rest because the book on the whole was lacking in character development. with fuller characters it all might have been even more enjoyable. my only other complaints are that she kept referring to one of the victims as a "small boy" or "little boy" and i kept picturing a 6 year old, but this was a young man probably in his late teens. i wish they'd not called him that again and again. and toward the end, they seem to be taking no care at all with their safety even though they think they know who the killer is. he has killed like 7 people - that they know of! - in a short span of time, one less than 24 hours prior, and they aren't even remotely concerned for their lives. very unrealistic, that bit.

still, i really, really enjoyed this when i was reading it. i liked this a lot. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Oct 4, 2020 |

Warren, MarciaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, GemmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woyda, GrażynaTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zbavitelová, Gitasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Rosalind and Susan the first two critics of this book
England!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,492,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible