The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

The Day of the Jackal (original 1971; edition 2012)

by Frederick Forsyth

Member:pujaguha
Title:The Day of the Jackal
Authors:Frederick Forsyth
Info:NAL Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth (1971)

Recently added bychaos-poppy, Erina39, private library, BruceRights, SMA_Hive
Legacy LibrariesSterling E. Lanier, Robert Gordon Menzies
    The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth (longway)
    The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth (John_Vaughan)
    Phoenix by Amos Aricha (JohnWCuluris)
    JohnWCuluris: Similar plot--perhaps originally inspired by Jackal--with more detail and texture.
    Wolves in the City: The Death of French Algeria by Paul Henissart (John_Vaughan)
    Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household (ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: About a man plenty of resources to dodge a powerful organization that tries to track him down.

English (56)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (65)
Collana: Selezione della narrativa mondiale
  seattlebiblioteca | Jun 7, 2018 |
Very enjoyable

I was ready to give up after about 50 pages, but am glad I continued. That first 50 felt cold and emotionless. Steeped in exposition that was of little interest to me.
Then all of a sudden the real story kicked in and it was masterful. The differing points of view all slowly converged together over the course of the book in shorter and shorter sections making it feel like the net was closing in on the jackal. Very clever and very effective.
This is not my genre at all, but I'm extremely happy I gave it a go. I'll certainly read more. ( )
  Jasecorn | Mar 4, 2018 |
The Day of The Jackal - Frederick Forsythe ***

This is my first book by Forsythe, he has always been one of those readers I meant to pick up, the blurbs always sound as if I will love the contents of the book, so what better place to introduce myself than by reading perhaps his most famous novel, The Day of the Jackal’.

I have always loved spy thriller books and read many different authors from Fleming & Deighton, through to Higgins and Innes and started reading with high hopes. I can’t put my finger on the reason but I just didn’t enjoy this book anywhere near as much as I thought I would. The storyline is a solid one, an unknown Englishman man is hired to kill the president and the powers that be must identify and stop him before he manages to complete the deed. The race is on to see who will reach their target first and what the eventual fallout will be.

It is a well written novel with characters that come to life and it is easy to visualise the settings. Forsythe hasn’t fallen into the usual trap of making his leading man totally infallible and for that reason I think you end up rooting for the killer more than you possibly should. But I found the plot extremely slow and at times far too detailed, I kept wanting something to happen that would make me race along to the next page, but it rarely did. At just over 400 pages it shouldn’t really have been a slog but I struggled over 2 weeks to reach the eventual ending. Maybe I went into the book with the wrong expectations, and looking at the hundreds of positive reviews I know I am in the minority. Perhaps I will pick it up again the future and see what I missed.... you never know ( )
  Bridgey | Dec 28, 2017 |
Battle of wits, exciting to the end. ( )
  siok | Jul 15, 2017 |
Excellent story telling. Thriller from beginning to end. ( )
  deldevries | Jun 30, 2017 |

Forsyth, Frederickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hernández, RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niessen-Hossele, J.F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tropea, MarcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my Mother and Father
It is cold at 6:40 in the morning of a March day in Paris, and it seems even colder when a man is about to be executed by firing squad.
ISBN 0854565655 is the Reader's Digest condensed (abridged) version of the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553266306, Mass Market Paperback)

The Jackal. A tall, blond Englishman with  opaque, gray eyes. A killer at the top of his  profession. A man unknown to any secret service in the  world. An assassin with a contract to kill the  world's most heavily guarded man.

One  man with a rifle who can change the course of  history. One man whose mission is so secretive not  even his employers know his name. And as the  minutes count down to the final act of execution, it  seems that there is no power on earth that can stop  the Jackal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

A killer at the top of his profession, unknown to any secret service in the world, has a contract to kill French president Charles DeGaulle, one of the world's most heavily guarded men.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible