The Double Helix (1968)

by James D. Watson

Since its publication in 1968, The Double Helix has given countless readers a rare and exciting look at one highly significant piece of scientific research-Watson and Crick's race to discover the molecular structure of DNA.

Wonderful account of the discovery of DNA. Had almost the feel of a detective novel. It's a very easy, quick read. If you can find it, there is a video, "The Race for the Double Helix" aka "Life Story" starring Jeff Goldblum, Tim Pigott-Smith, and Juliet Stephenson as some of the principals, that does a pretty creditable job of presenting the story. Would love to see this remastered. The version I found online was free but about VHS quality. ( )
  tgraettinger | Aug 18, 2020 |
A very personal account by the author James Watson on how he and his colleague Francis Crick with the help of others beat Linus Pauling to win the coveted Nobel prize for identifying the structure of DNA. Not the most easy-to-understand book that I've read because you would need a background in chemistry to understand what's going on. Even Einstein's General Theory of Relativity was easier to comprehend. However you can definitely relate to the urgency and competitiveness between the scientists as they race to determine the structure of DNA, the basic building block of life. ( )
  pramodghuge | May 21, 2020 |
Watson's book has been criticized in many ways, but the biographical process that lead to his discovery of the double helix structure of DNA is nothing short of remarkable. This is a must have for the science library. ( )
  atufft | Jul 16, 2019 |
I read this book in part because I remember my mother reading it in 1968 for her book club. I remember her trying to explain it's importance to me. It made a big impression. It is well written with real human interjections and humor. It is surprisingly understandable and remains an important scientific achievement during our time. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Dull, drab, un-interesting ! ( )
  artvandley | Sep 30, 2018 |

Hokkala, OttoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Judd, DorothyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lakmaker, FiekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi Mitchison
Here I relate my version of how the structure of DNA was discovered.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,715,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible