The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the…

The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of… (1968)

by James D. Watson

The classic personal account of Watson and Crick's groundbreaking discovery of the structure of DNA, now with an introduction by Sylvia Nasar, author of A Beautiful Mind. By identifying the structure of DNA, the molecule of life, Francis Crick and James Watson revolutionized biochemistry and won themselves a Nobel Prize. At the time, Watson was only twenty-four, a young scientist hungry to make his mark. His uncompromisingly honest account of the heady days of their thrilling sprint against other world-class researchers to solve one of science's greatest mysteries gives a dazzlingly clear picture of a world of brilliant scientists with great gifts, very human ambitions, and bitter rivalries. With humility unspoiled by false modesty, Watson relates his and Crick's desperate efforts to beat Linus Pauling to the Holy Grail of life sciences, the identification of the basic building block of life. Never has a scientist been so truthful in capturing in words the flavor of his work.… (more)

Watson's book has been criticized in many ways, but the biographical process that lead to his discovery of the double helix structure of DNA is nothing short of remarkable. This is a must have for the science library. ( )
  atufft | Jul 16, 2019 |
I read this book in part because I remember my mother reading it in 1968 for her book club. I remember her trying to explain it's importance to me. It made a big impression. It is well written with real human interjections and humor. It is surprisingly understandable and remains an important scientific achievement during our time. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Dull, drab, un-interesting ! ( )
  artvandley | Sep 30, 2018 |
Excellent book. Reads like a novel. Highly recommended.
  nittnut | Aug 30, 2018 |
I read about a third of it. I found the story wandered and wasn't clear. His treatment of Rosalind Franklin sounded like something written in the 1950s. It was at that point that I decided the book wasn't really worth the effort I was putting in to sort through the verbiage for the story. In its favor, there were quite a few interesting photos and diagrams. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |

Hokkala, OttoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Judd, DorothyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lakmaker, FiekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi Mitchison
Here I relate my version of how the structure of DNA was discovered.
Preface (by Gunther S. Stent) -- The fantastically rapid pace of scientific research in the past decades has had one important, as yet not fully appreciated, cultural by-product: there are now alive many scientists who can look back on their own early work, and that of their contemporaries, from a depth of historical perspective that for scientific disciplines flowering in earlier times had opened only after all the witnesses of the formative stages were long dead.
Preface to The Double Helix -- Here I relate my version of how the structure of DNA was discovered.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible