Het meisje in de groene spiegel

Het meisje in de groene spiegel

Hailed for her "remarkably accomplished and poignant work" (Washington Post), acclaimed author Elizabeth McGregor returns with a haunting love story about two lost souls brought together by chance--and bonded forever by a mystery that transcends madness, tragedy, and time itself.... Catherine Sergeant is adept at going through the motions. After losing her parents at an early age, she buried her grief in the study of antiquities. Now, deserted by her husband without warning or explanation, she reports to work at Pearson's auction house, exchanging pleasantries with colleagues, never revealing her pain. Cocooned in loneliness, she couldn't be more surprised to find herself opening up to a total stranger--a new client, no less. In widowed architect John Brigham, Catherine finds a kindred spirit. The two share a fascination with Richard Dadd, an early Victorian painter who lived most of his life incarcerated in an insane asylum. There he produced his most stunning works--works that have deeply moved Catherine and now draw her inexorably to John. Soon the two are falling in love. The reawakening of passion in a woman like Catherine is more than John ever hoped for. But when she discovers his possession of an unknown Dadd, it is just the first in a series of revelations that leave her wondering if she knows this man who has shown her life's true beauty. For John, it may be a last chance to free himself from the priceless secrets he has been harboring too long. Secrets about a soul laid bare on canvas, and a legacy that could shatter all he holds dear in the space of a heartbeat... A compelling blend of human drama, art, and history, this intriguing tale casts a spell that lingers far beyond the final page--and celebrates the strength we all must find within our hearts.… (more)
Member:loxyer
Title:Het meisje in de groene spiegel
Authors:
Info:

Work Information

The Girl in the Green Glass Mirror by Elizabeth McGregor

The Hum and the Shiver by Alex Bledsoe (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Hum and Shiver is a quiet fantasy book set in the Ozark Mountains. The painting by Dadd - The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke, heavily influences the story.

I read this book for the book club at work. Its not a book I would normally read - and I found it slow going at first. If it wasn't for a book club, I would have given up within the first 20 pages. I'm glad I read it - but it was slow going, not a lot of action. I was mostly intrigued about the Painter, Richard Dadd - The sections devoted to him were very interesting.

This is a story mainly about Catherine Sergeant. Unfortunately, she wasn't very interesting - I found John Brigham, the new love, to be more intriguing - with a mentally ill sister, and his connection to the painter Dadd. This book is very subtle in its writing. The author rights paragraphs in sentences. I suspect that if I read the story differently (eg, not as a story, but as a poem) I might feel differently about it. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | May 3, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,100,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible