Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book Two by Grant…

Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book Two

by Grant Morrison, Michael Bair (Illustrator), Pasqual Ferry (Illustrator), Mick Gray (Illustrator), Frazer Irving (Illustrator)6 more, Doug Mahnke (Illustrator), Yanick Paquette (Illustrator), Billy Dallas Patton (Illustrator), Ryan Sook (Illustrator), J. H. Williams III (Illustrator), Freddie Williams (Illustrator)

Other authors: Serge LaPointe (Illustrator)

Series: Seven Soldiers of Victory (Omnibus 3-4)

Written by GRANT MORRISON Art by PASCAL FERRY, YANICK PAQUETTE, DOUG MAHNKE, FRAZER IRVING, RYAN SOOK, J.H. WILLIAMS III and others Cover by RYAN SOOK Collecting the second half of Grant Morrison's SEVEN SOLDIERS epic in hardcover for the first time! Collects MISTER MIRACLE #1-4, BULLETEER #1-4, ZATANNA #4, KLARION #4, FRANKENSTEIN #1-4 and SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY #1. On sale FEBRUARY 23 - 400 pg, FC… (more)

Seven Soldiers of Victory draws to a conclusion with the stories of three more of the soldiers: Mister Miracle, despite being even more bound up in Kirby's DC mythos than the Guardian, is less successful; I don't think Morrison was going for Kirby pastiche as much here, but then it's difficult for me to say what this story does accomplish.

Frankenstein is an odd one: a series of done-in-one adventures, basically, of a man too monstrous to live in society, but still trying to do good. Like the Hulk, I guess? It's Doug Mahnke's creepy, distorted art that really make these work, it makes the tone come across perfectly. His journey to the Sheeda homeworld is amazing; probably the best single issue in this volume.

The tales of the Bulletteer were probably my favorite, an examination of sex, power, and superheroics, but on the whole, I found the characters in this volume less involving than those in the first.

The whole thing is tied up in "The Miser's Coat". I don't pretend to understand it very much, but it has all the Soldiers lining up and accidentally-on-purpose defeating the Sheeda. No matter what happens, it looks gorgeous, moving through a range of artistic styles as it is revealed the story of the Sheeda goes all the way back to the first superhero-- the first man to wield fire. The narratives that had crossed and intersected before all jumble up here, and it is amazing, as comics meet newspaper reportage meet children's picture book meet crossword puzzle.

I like a lot of these characters and concepts, I hope I will see more of them going forward.

DC Comics Crises: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »
  Stevil2001 | May 2, 2014 |
More of the stories, ending the cycle, still dislike the women's portrayal, not sure the story made perfect sense without knowing the characters before, diverting but nothing I'd revisit. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 14, 2011 |

Sook, RyanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams III, J. H.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, FreddieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
LaPointe, SergeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is no time for hysteria, mother!
This is the omnibus volume two, which contains volumes three and four of Seven Soldiers. DO NOT combine with the single volume two.

SEVEN SOLDIERS is an epic tale of life, death, triumph and redemption that explores the nature of heroism and sacrifice. Featuring the first four of the seven soldiers: The Shining Knight, The Guardian, Zatanna and Klarion the Witch Boy. Independently, each of these characters is featured in a story that redefines their purpose in the DC Universe. But their stories also interweave with the others, telling a grander story of a devastating global threat to mankind. Together, these reluctant champions must work together to save the world from the insidious threat of the invading Sheeda warriors -- without even meeting one another.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,952,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible