Knitting Book (Dk Crafts) by Frederica…

Knitting Book (Dk Crafts) (edition 2011)

by Frederica Patmore, Vikki Haffenden

Pick up your needles and get knitting! Whether you're new to knitting or already a wonder with wool, The Knitting Book is a bible that no knitter should be without. With many celebrities picking up their needles and hundreds of people getting into knitting every month, this book will help you join the trend and enjoy knitting for many years to come.… (more)
Member:ptarmigantracks
Title:Knitting Book (Dk Crafts)
Authors:Frederica Patmore
Other authors:Vikki Haffenden
Info:Dorling Kindersley (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:yarn, techniques, stitch patterns, patterns, cables, lace, intarsia, fair isle, finishing

The Knitting Book by Frederica Patmore

There's a knitting group at my local library. I've stopped in many times to see what they're making and each and every time I leave I think - "I want to learn how to knit." And I've convinced myself I will knit hats for each and every family member for next Christmas!

But, I need some direction and instruction. And I've found it in The Knitting Book - New Edition- by Vikki Haffenden and Frederica Patmore.

The Knitting Book is a fabulous resource for anyone - beginner through to those who already have skills. Everything is covered from start to finish.... Materials, including types and weights of yarn. All accompanied with large, full colour photographs that really allow the user to see the detail. Tools includes the same excellent photos detailing needles and other equipment. The Swatch Gallery contains 30 different styles and full instructions for these are found in another chapter at the end of the book.

But how to knit? Well, the Key Techniques chapter has very explicit and detailed instructions from casting on, so many ways to knit with patterns, colours, styles, embellishments and more, right through to casting off. Over 250 step-by step techniques! Again, all with colour photographs showing how to proceed very clearly. This is what I love about DK books - the clear instructions, clean layout, easy to see and process detailed information and most of all the colour photos.

The Knitting Book also includes a number of project ideas for beginners through to seasoned knitters. And yes - there's two hat patterns! And a really easy baby blanket that would be a good starter project for me. There are sweaters, throws, runners, an arm knitted rug and more. A wonderful resource! ( )
  Twink | Nov 21, 2019 |
Bought this when I decided to learn how to knit based on a recommendation from a knitters blog. I am glad I did so because this book is very complete and clear.
Love that there are several stitches along with their patterns to give them a try. The photographs and instructions are very clear; I only wish this book was also found as a video tutorial to make it perfect.
I didn't give it five stars because I felt that in some parts, the terms got too technical and this is supposed to be a beginners knitting book for completely clueless people like me. ( )
  AleAleta | May 13, 2016 |
So, I consider myself to be a pretty crafty person - no, no not sneaky, but in the creative sense. I've mastered many an art, but knitting is the one craft that continues to elude me. And it just makes me more determined.... So when I saw The Knitting Book by Frederica Patmore and Vikki Haffenden, I knew I had found the book I needed.

I think (know) some of my past failures have been based on ignorance. It's all well and good to be told that you need an acyclic yarn for this buy this size of needle, but I want to know why and what alternatives I have. The Knitting Book has it all! In glorious, glossy colour with lots and lots of detail.

It starts off with basics - I had no idea there were so many types of yarn available beyond the basic wool - bamboo, soy protein, ribbon, cottons and more. (Even using wire, plastic and fabric!)And a description of needles and where and why they should be used. And embellishments - ribbons, beads and buttons.

And on to the basic techniques - almost 20 pages on different casting on methods. Very clear and concise instructions with detailed photographs that make it look really easy. Tons and tons (okay really only 250!) of various techniques are covered in the same careful detailing - from the simple knit and purl to Fair Isle, circular, felting, how to read patterns and so many more.

Also included are glossaries detailing stitch patterns with instructions and pictures as well as how to finish your project, sew it together, embellish and care for it.

And projects! Lots of choices - from a simple scarf, to more involved hats, mittens, socks, tea cosies, bags, baby gifts etc. And much as I might imagine that I could whip up a quick dozen pairs of mittens for gifts for Christmas, it's not going to happen. But I am thinking I could whip up a few cute little egg cozies to get my feet wet. Stay tuned to this space for progress photos!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dorling Kindersley publishes the best reference books. They're substantial, chock full of detailed information. But I am a visual learner, so it is the clear, colour, detailed photographs I appreciate the most.

If you've got a crafter on your Christmas list, I'd definitely recommend The Knitting Book. ( )
2 vote Twink | Oct 31, 2011 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,496,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible