The Healing by Jonathan Odell

The Healing

by Jonathan Odell

Mississippi plantation mistress Amanda Satterfield loses her daughter to cholera after her husband refuses to treat her for what he considers to be a "slave disease." Insane with grief, Amanda takes a newborn slave child as her own and names her Granada, much to the outrage of her husband and the amusement of their white neighbors. Seventy-five years later, Granada, now known as Gran Gran, is still living on the plantation and must revive the buried memories of her past in order to heal a young girl abandoned to her care. Together they learn the power of story to heal the body, the spirit and the soul.… (more)

English (23)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (24)
What a great book to start the year 2016 off with.
The Healing is a beautiful, touching story. I highly recommend it.

Personal highlights -
"It's strange, but when you don't want nothing, seems like you can give everything you got." Chapter 38, pg 244

"'She say, the difference in weavers is, some see the tangle and the others see the weave. The ones that can't take their eyes off the tangle, they never rise above it.'
'Yes, ma'am,' Granada said, knowing this was important, trying to understand.
'Granada, this here ... what happened to me, to you, to Rubina ... ain't nothing but a tangle. It's the weave you got to remember, Granada. It's bigger than you and me. It went on before you and me got here. It'll go on after you and me leave this place and go to wherever it is Rubina is waiting. Just a tangle, Granada.'"
Chapter 43, pg 274

"The remembering was as fine as a silken thread and as a faint as a word whispered upon a breeze. It was as sure as the turning of a face to its beloved."
Chapter 49, pg 305

jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
Competently written. Not particularly special. Better than The Help and The Kitchen House. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Another book to add to my favorites!!! Not only did I enjoy the story, I loved the way it was written. It was beautifully insightful and deep; heartwarming and yet at times upsetting. I think this story will stay with me for a long time.

I hadn't paid attention to the authors name going into it so was extremely surprised to find it was written by a man and doubly surprised to see it was a white man. He did, at least, grow up in the south :) ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
This novel grew on me - I didn't like it and almost quit reading for the first 70 pages - the writing seemed flat and the story line was dull - then Polly the healer arrived at the plantation and everything slowly began to change for me - the characters became richer and, by the end, I was deeply involved in the story - then came the beautifully written acknowledgements and note to the reader and I became a true Jonathan Odell fan - even halfway through the book i would never have imagined giving it 4 1/2 stars -

Mr. Odell, a white agnostic male, has written the story of a deeply spiritual black female healer who was enslaved - it works both on a concrete level and as a spiritually symbolic tale about the truth of who we who live on this planet truly are. ( )
  njinthesun | Jul 22, 2016 |
"The world is not imperfect or slowly evolving along

a long path to perfection.  No, it is perfect at every moment;

every sin already carries grace within it."

--------Herman Hesse, Siddhartha
To Jim

We promised to make up as we go.  It's been a great trip.
The winter dampness crept through the kitchen door, chilling Gran Grab through her worn, flour-sack shift.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible