Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Deadlocked

by Charlaine Harris, Charlaine Harris

Series: Southern Vampire Mysteries (12)

Growing up with telepathic abilities, Sookie Stackhouse realized early on that there are things she'd rather not know. And now that she's an adult, she also realizes that some things she knows about, she'd rather not see--like Eric Northman feeding off another woman. A younger one. There's a thing or two she'd like to say about that, but she has to keep quiet--Felipe de Castro, the vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), is in town. It's the worst possible time for a human body to show up in Eric's front yard--especially the body of the woman whose blood he just drank. Now it's up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl's fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who's set out to make Sookie's world come crashing down.… (more)

English (174)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (176)
While this book was an improvement from the last two, it was still boring. Half the time is spent explaining events or characters from previous books (at least she finally stopped explaining that Sookie can't hear vampires) and the other half is Sookie being pissed off and broody. She expects Eric to choose her and show his undying love for her, yet she is unwilling to give him a call? And every time she sees him she ends up walking out or sending him on his way. Was she really surprised when he wanted her to make the bold gesture of love? Eric deserved an actual send off and an actual conversation with Sookie. Harris did him dirty and I can't forgive that because he has become such a constant character in the books. Jannalynn got a better ending than our boy Eric, and that is simply wrong.

Honestly because the last two books were so slow and this one was so frustratingly boring (until the end), I don't want to read the next book. I wish that I would have saved myself some time and only read up until book 6 and then just read summaries of the rest.

Finally, I believe that Claude is the villian. What I don't believe is that he was hoping to use Eric to draw out Niall. Why would he bank on those odds? It doesn't really make sense to leave so many things up to chance. If he wanted to fight Niall and get him to come to the human dimension, I doubt this was the most efficient way of doing so. Also, you're telling me that he couldn't have found the fairy love wish? It was sitting in her makeup drawer the whole time. If he actually searched her room he would have found it. ( )
  bookworm148 | Oct 7, 2019 |
When I got my hands on Deadlocked recently I was as happy as a fat girl with cake, I mean... YAY! New True Blood book, new Sookie and Eric romance stuff... YAY!

But then I started reading it and I immediately got the feeling that Charlaine Harris no longer felt as involved with her characters as usual... No sex, no proper point to it all, no nothin'.

What kind of bugged me the most is the fact that Eric wasn't Eric at all. He seemed to be some evil doppelgänger that took over the real Eric's life. Of course, all Truebies would probably think WTF at that point (especially in the way he treats Sookie lately).

This book was so much weaker than the previous ones and it was so out of character that I'm actually a little hesitant to buy the next book. What's more is that you have to pay $16 for a kindle copy that's hardly worth the quality of the previous books in the series? Hell no. I don't often rant about books, but this was just one big let down and it's a damn shame.

Maybe it's just me though. I don't know, I read all of the books in a week and I just got a major let down from Deadlock. Perhaps Harris needs to take a break and rekindle her love for the series, before she continues writing it.

MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. As always Sookie and her gang were a blast. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
Not a lot of plot going on in this book compared to the earlier books... Oh well, still gonna read the next one. ( )
  Awill424 | Jun 9, 2019 |
Why am I still reading these books? ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, Charlainemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Julia, this is for you.
I love you, honey.
It was hot as the six shades of Hell even this late in the evening, and I'd had a busy day at work.  The last thing I wanted to do was to sit in a crowded bar to watch my cousin get naked.
I'd had a very pleasant few hours all by myself. 'Pleasant' didn't mean a positive good to me anymore: It meant an absence of bad. I had done a little straightening in the kitchen, read a little, turned on the television just to have voices in the background. Nice. Not exciting. I'd had enough exciting. (chapter 6)

Felipe de Castro, the vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), is in town. It’s the worst possible time for a human body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.

Now it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s set out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible