Republic, lost : how money corrupts…

Republic, lost : how money corrupts congress--and a plan to stop it (2011)

by Lawrence Lessig

179None66,446 (3.9)2

If you care about the future of this country, you need to read this book. It doesn't matter if you are Independent, Democrat or Republican ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
Larry Lessig is one of the best thinkers of our time, and this is another great book that explains the world we live in. His take on "corruption," and how our elections have been altered by private money is a cogent argument for why we think all of our politicians are untrustworthy. ( )
  thebradking | Feb 22, 2014 |
I was surprised by the balance of this book. Not overly liberal or conservative. This is a good thing because US corruption transcends even the microscopically thin line between republican and democrat.

Lessig lays out the problems and the types of corruption that exists and then gives us four possible plans to fix the problems and remove the corruption. Sadly, none of the plans have a high likelihood for success (in both my view, but more importantly Lessig's).

Lessig states that this may not be the most pressing matter of the United States but it is the matter than needs to be dealt with first. He does however have hope, and says that any change needs to come from a grassroots movement and not from within the beltway.

So maybe its time for the occupy movement and the tea party movement and any other reformers to stop screwing around with political issues and work to change the political system. ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
Audiobook. Morally pretentious and condescending. Extremely slow developing. Basically the first half can be summed up in one sentence: Even if the system of congressional campaign funding does not corrupt congress, the mere appearance of corruption that it presents is bad enough to cause the large majority of Americans to not trust their government and become politically disengaged. Okay now you can start about halfway through, track 15 in the audiobook. After that the book is very insightful into the operations of congress and how money distorts and corrupts congress and causes it to ignore everyone except the rich. It also explains how the rich completely control elections except on the one day every two years when the masses are allowed to vote for the candidates the rich have chosen. In the end the author gives some seemingly hopeless (as he admits) options to try to change the corrupt system. The author is incredibly knowledgeable about the subject and exceedingly non-partisan. I read it through so I can better understand the corrupt system, but I wouldn't necessarily call this a "good book." ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |
Professor Lessig does an excellent job of rendering the seemingly overwhelming, obscure, and shapeless concept of "what's wrong with the federal government" down into a singular and simple truth using examples and terminology we can all understand. It is loaded with facts and is as non-partisan as can be. In fact, it's a breath of fresh air for this genre, given that most non-fiction works concerning the U.S. gov't seem to be politically tainted and empty vehicles for the self-promotion of media loudmouths. I believe his proposed solutions are far fetched. But that doesn't mean we (U.S. citizens) shouldn't try. The future of the country may depend on our doing so. This book should be required reading for all voters in the U.S. ( )
  AnonymousA | Feb 21, 2013 |
Mr. Lessig’s analysis of the distorting effects of money is, in the main, dead on. The problems with “Republic, Lost” lie elsewhere. While he insists, again quoting Thoreau, that to hack at the “branches of evil” is futile, campaign finance reform is, in itself, arguably an inadequate ax.

"So his focus is not so much on the solutions, but on the first step: laying down the argument for why change needs to happen. Seventy-five percent of the book is a deep examination of the problem of corruption: what corruption means (from an almost philosophical perspective); the specifics of how corruption operates in our particular system; and an analysis of how our government will continue to fail us, given the present system."

@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }@font-face { font-family: "Geneva"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; color: black; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } In an era when special interests funnel huge amounts of money into our government-driven by shifts in campaign-finance rules and brought to new levels by the Supreme Court in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission-trust in our government has reached an all-time low. More than ever before, Americans believe that money buys results in Congress, and that business interests wield control over our legislature.

With heartfelt urgency and a keen desire for righting wrongs, Harvard law professor Lawrence Lessig takes a clear-eyed look at how we arrived at this crisis: how fundamentally good people, with good intentions, have allowed our democracy to be co-opted by outside interests, and how this exploitation has become entrenched in the system. Rejecting simple labels and reductive logic-and instead using examples that resonate as powerfully on the Right as on the Left-Lessig seeks out the root causes of our situation. He plumbs the issues of campaign financing and corporate lobbying, revealing the human faces and follies that have allowed corruption to take such a foothold in our system. He puts the issues in terms that nonwonks can understand, using real-world analogies and real human stories. And ultimately he calls for widespread mobilization and a new Constitutional Convention, presenting achievable solutions for regaining control of our corrupted-but redeemable-representational system. In this way, Lessig plots a roadmap for returning our republic to its intended greatness.

While America may be divided, Lessig vividly champions the idea that we can succeed if we accept that corruption is our common enemy and that we must find a way to fight against it. In REPUBLIC, LOST, he not only makes this need palpable and clear-he gives us the practical and intellectual tools to do something about it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:59 -0400)

A Harvard Law professor explains how being influenced by money overshadows the will of the people in the political arena regardless of party lines and offers strategies to take back the democracy from those with moneyed or corporate interests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible