Insurgent (Divergent Series) by Veronica…

Insurgent (Divergent Series) (original 2013; edition 2015)

by Veronica Roth (Author)

Series: Divergent (2)

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.… (more)
Member:panorsk
Title:Insurgent (Divergent Series)
Authors:Veronica Roth (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2015), Edition: Reissue, 592 pages

Work Information

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (637)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (645)
This is where the series starts to go south. "Insurgent" isn't an absolute abomination of a book, by any means, but it definitely isn't a good one at all. It is one of the most forgettable books I've ever read in my life. I don't know why, but, every time I re-read the Divergent series, I can vaguely remember the overall plot and structure of only the first and third books. The second one, however, never sticks. I can never remember what happens in this story for more than a couple weeks after re-reading it. It is that uninteresting.

I don't really have much to say, if I'm being honest. Things just... happen in this book. If I would sum up this story to the best of my ability, I'd say this: The main characters move from faction to faction, see what each one's up to, and try to figure out what Erudite's going to do. In the end, the Dauntless and Factionless team up to take down Erudite, and some of the main characters (including Tris, Marcus, and Christina) decide to save some Erudite data and release this big secret that Jeanine has kept in her computer. Yeah, if you think it's ridiculous that this plot takes place over the course of over 520 pages, you're not alone. This book is dreadfully boring.

Also, I hate that we don't learn much about the world and the entire reason behind the faction system until the very last book. Until that point, we are almost completely clueless as to what is going on. All we know is that these characters live in some self-sustaining city with 5 factions in it that they can't leave. That's it. One of the reasons why I find this so frustrating is that a lot of characters' motivations are completely unknown as a result. Jeanine, Marcus, Caleb, Tris's parents... the motivations behind a lot of their actions remain unexplained until the third book of the trilogy. I guess we get a fraction of an explanation in the last 5 pages of this book, but it's too little too late, in my opinion. This is NOT how you structure a trilogy, Veronica Roth.

I've already touched on the world-building in my review of "Divergent". It starts to fall apart in this book, and it enters the realm of dogshit fan faction once we get to "Allegiant". I don't even really know how to explain it. Reading this book, I just can't imagine a world like this existing in a million years. It just doesn't make any sense. The concept of "Divergent people" doesn't really make much sense, either. I don't want to go into a lot of detail about why this whole world completely falls apart the second you think about it for more than a couple seconds. If you want, you can watch James Tullos's video on it instead.

This isn't a very comprehensive or interesting review, I know. I just don't really know what else to say. This book always conjures up a blank slate in my mind whenever I think of it. It's just 525 pages of... nothing. ( )
  JuzamDjinn2500 | Aug 19, 2022 |
One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris’s initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so. ( )
  Gmomaj | Jul 28, 2022 |
finally, i bought my own copy of this.. i'm now re-reading the first chapters again.. ( )
  Emmie199x | Jul 25, 2022 |
So.... I really liked Divergent. I have no idea what I really think about Insurgent. I was talking with my hubby about the book and told him that it was crazy. Crazy how? he asked. Just crazy, I told him. Crazy like the second season of a HBO series? he asked. I couldn't have put it better myself. Insurgent is the equivalent of the second season of a HBO series. That's not a good thing in my opinion, but might be for others. I didn't love the book, but I didn't hate it either. ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
Uber-excited!!!!
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

AR Level 5.0, 16 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,896,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible