Insurgent (Divergent Series) by Veronica…

Insurgent (Divergent Series) (original 2013; edition 2015)

by Veronica Roth (Author)

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.… (more)
Member:Lanella
Title:Insurgent (Divergent Series)
Authors:Veronica Roth (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2015), Edition: Reissue, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (577)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (584)
would love 3.5 stars. kept me intrigued just like the first book. good read. quick read though started getting a bit fruatrated with tris making some choices she made. cant wait for the third book though. ( )
  tmbookluvr | Dec 3, 2019 |
This book surprised me. In the beginning I was thinking 'maybe one star' - I was quite annoyed at the start as it just went straight into it like it was another chapter after the end of the last book. It didn't set anything up or cleverly remind me what's going on and who the characters are as other series do. I don't have the best memory and it had been a little while since reading the first book and so many names being thrown at me straight away I just didn't know who was who and what was happening. But once I got the hang of what was happening I really enjoyed this book. Non-stop action. So much better than the first book, this one actually progressed each chapter instead of endless training etc. like the first one. A great story as well that was hard to predict and it stopped at a great twist as well. Looking forward to the next one which is the opposite to how I felt after finishing book 1. Hope this standard continues. ( )
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
Another page-turner, if a bit predictable at parts. I think I like where it seems to be going.

I don't have time to say any more because I have to go read the third book immediately. ( )
  rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |
Insurgent kicks off just about where Divergent left off. Tris and the rest are hiding with the Amity. Refusing to join the actual conflict, Amity headquarters have become a safe house, of sorts, for all the refugees – regardless of their factions. There, they are able to try and take in all the events of the last couple of days. Striken with guilt over the inevitable death of her best friend, Tris has a hard time even looking at a gun.

But it doesn't take long before Erudite along with the Dauntless traitors come looking for them; and they are forced to run away in the night. Tris and Tobias make their way towards the Candor headquarters in hopes of uniting with them in the battle against Jeanine and her followers. Almost as expected, it doesn't take long before Erudite shows up there too – seemingly searching for all Divergents and even though they are able to fight them off for the time being, it soon becomes obvious just how far Erudite will go to get their hands on one or two Divergents.

Afraid the guilt over Will will eat her up completely, and just as equally afraid Tobias will offer himself to the Erudite – Tris offers herself as the test subject to Jeanine's experiments in her attempts to eliminate the Divergent once and for all.

I honestly never thought I'd be as into the Divergent trilogy as I am. How so? The heterosexuality. I'm tired of reading dystopian literature with two heterosexuals fighting for their love in the same way lgbt folks do literally every day in reality; only to be reduced to a sentence in these books where they explain that homosexuality is seen as completely out of question. Even in a story where two people are fighting for the right to love each other, it has to be heterosexuals. So, as I was starting this book, feeling like it'd only contribute to my reading experience as another popular book read. Nothing more.

Obviously, I was proven quite wrong as I did decide to pick up the second book as well. Because even if there's quite a lot of things I'd like to point out and criticise, the Divergent series is second only to The Hunger Games when it comes to dystopian literature written for teens and young adults. Especially Insurgent has made me realise this. There is a large focus on death and hard feelings such as guilt, loss or shame. These feelings do not go away just after a chapter or so, but they are present throughout the book and are important factors in how the characters behave. It reminds me of a quote from one of my favourite films ever: I know bad things happen. Bad things happen. But you can still live. You can still live. I feel as if the book is a lot about trying to figure out that you can live despite all the bad things that have happened to you or your friends – and that you are more than the bad things you have done (well, depending on the bad things, obviously).

But what I like the most about the Divergent series is the fact that it is about who you are rather than who you are with. Tris and her fellow Divergent pals are tracked and hunted down because of their ability to fit more than one trait, or simply, because they refuse to restrain themselves to only one trait. Everyone sees every book differently but from my point of view, it is a great action-packed dystopia about how we are all different and complex – and there's nothing wrong with that. Don't let anyone else tell you how to be you.
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

AR Level 5.0, 16 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,821,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible