Foundation: The History of England from Its Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors

by Peter Ackroyd

One of Britain's most popular and esteemed historians tells the epic story of the birth of England. The first in an extraordinary six-volume history, "Foundation" takes the reader from the primeval forests of England's prehistory to the death, in 1509, of the first Tudor king, Henry VII.

Very disappointing ( )
  mrsnickleby | Jan 18, 2024 |
I have read several books about this time period and this is a great one volume starter for anyone interested. ( )
  everettroberts | Oct 20, 2023 |
I enjoyed this non fiction and look forward to reading the subsequent volumes ( )
  LisaBergin | Apr 12, 2023 |
Another engrossing read of Mr.Ackroyd that takes an indepth look at these characters and times. ( )
  charlie68 | Jan 31, 2023 |
I wanted to read Peter Ackroyd's "Foundation" on the history of England because I am getting ready to read Nancy Goldstone's "Four Queens" and a series of Philippa Gregory books. I loved the way Peter Ackroyd seamlessly moved between the kings of England, the traditions of the people, and popular misconceptions. The book had a good pace and it kept me wanting more. I am going to see what else he has written. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
I finished this book with very mixed feelings. Admiration for the clear and lively retelling of some of the basic stories of our history; and dismay at the thought of another five volumes like this one, where the narrative is weighed down by its embroidery of speculation, question-begging, sententiousness and sheer whimsy.
added by Nickelini | editthe Telegraph, Noel Malcolm (Feb 17, 2012)

Belongs to Series

When the first sarsen stone was raised in the circle of Stonehenge, the land we call England was already very ancient.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,000,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible