The Strangers on Montagu Street

by Karen White

Series: Tradd Street (3)

"Psychic realtor Melanie Middleton returns-only to be greeted by a house full of lost souls. Psychic realtor Melanie Middleton is still restoring her Charleston house and doesn't expect to have a new houseguest, a teen girl named Nola. But the girl didn't come alone, and the spirits that accompanied Nola don't seem willing to leave... "--… (more)

Melanie Middleton has now moved back into her house on Tradd Street, but will an unexpected finding cause her to once again move out? Jack Trenholm is finding that life is full of surprises dropped on your doorstep...literally! This is the surprise of his life and will change him and his tenuous relationship with Melanie forever...and cast them into a dangerous mystery.

Book 3 of The House on Tradd Street is just as interesting as the other 2! Currently engaged in Book 4: Return to Tradd Street. ( )
  chrirob | Jun 23, 2020 |
The Strangers on Montagu Street was an entertaining read and kept me riveted. I had a couple of issues with the book though. First, this installment ends with somewhat of a 'cliff-hanger', the mystery mostly solved, but relationship up in the air (again). Second, the hero, who is a flirt and something of a player (at least in the past) puts all the responsibility on the heroine for their relationship. He is very upset that she doesn't trust him, when in the last book, she caught him with her cousin! In this book, he is dating and sleeping with the cousin and doesn't appear to even like her that much , but he supposedly has a thing for Mellie, the heroine. Also, he found out he has a thirteen year old daughter from a previous relationship, that he did not know about.
It just seemed to me the hero was not strong enough to be on his own, without a girlfriend, and has to have someone there while supposedly waiting for the heroine? Not my type of guy!

3.5/5 stars ( )
  mary23nm | Feb 27, 2019 |
In this third book in the Tradd Street series Jack Trenholm’s daughter, Nola, comes to live with psychic Melanie Middleton. Nola’s mother has died of a drug overdose and Jack doesn’t feel capable of dealing with a teenage girl so Melanie graciously agrees to the arrangement. Of course, there are again ghosts who have come to Melanie to make their story known. This time they come when Nola’s grandmother gives Nola an antique dollhouse that is fashioned exactly after a house on Montague Street complete with the figurines that are perfect duplicates of the house’s former inhabitants. The ghosts from the house cannot rest until the true story of their demise is known. And Melanie and Jack continue their romantic struggles in this book and the book’s ending leaves the reader with a surprise cliffhanger regarding their relationship.

This book continues the Tradd Street stories with a pleasant mixture of romance, mystery and paranormal elements. Hopefully, Jack and Melanie’s romantic story will be continued or resolved in the next installment of the series. Since I have toured Charleston, I enjoyed the mention in the book of some of the places that I have visited. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
The Strangers on Montagu Street
4 Stars

When Melanie agrees to help Jack with his troubled daughter, Nola, little does she know that the girl is accompanied by more than simply the usual teenage angst ...

This time the ghostly plot revolves around a family of spirits that inhabit Nola's dollhouse. Even though the mystery behind the family’s tragic past is rather obvious, the path toward uncovering the details is compelling and the climax is intense and exciting.

Although they take their sweet time, Mellie and Jack finally move their relationship to the next level and it is well worth the wait. Unfortunately, their romance is beset by the annoying keeping secrets trope, and rather than behaving like two sensible adults and talking it out, they both react like angsty teens with hurt feelings. Sometimes, I want to smack them both in the head to make them come to their senses.

The secondary characters are fantastic as usual. Whether it be Mellie’s parents, James and Ginnette, who are slowly rekindling their romance much to their daughter’s chagrin, or the delightful Nola who it is impossible not to love, or even the smarmy Marc Longo, whose slimy smirk is in dire need of being smacked off, or even the snooty, perky Rebecca Edgerton; each and every character in the book is well-developed and adds to the the charm of the story.

In sum, even though Mellie’s insecurities and her inability to see the truth of Jack’s feelings for her can be irritating, she remains an endearing character and the little twist at the end opens up new avenues for exploration in the next book. Looking forward to it. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Loved the story with Nola but I was over the Mellie and Jack portion of the story early on. They were great through the previous books but I wanted their storyline to progress more throughout the book and not what I felt was chunks dropped in.. ( )
  jvizza | Jan 18, 2016 |
The phone rang out in the night-shrouded house, shrill and insistent, bringing me abruptly out of an odd dream that somehow involved me, Jack, a shovel, and something dark and undulating buried beneath the black earth.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,290,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible