Chimes at Midnight by Seanan McGuire

Chimes at Midnight

by Seanan McGuire

Series: October Daye (7)

5002029,737 (4.28)40

I'm going to find a way to fix it. Because I'm a hero. And that's what heroes do.

I've always liked Toby. But in this book, with those words, I loved her. It's vaulted Toby up toward the top of the list of my favorite heroes.

I enjoyed Chimes at Midnight so much. Toby battling with her lost powers and acknowledging that they don't matter because she's a hero with or without them was an amazing thing for me to read. Her powers are helpful, sure, but if she weren't Toby--if she weren't a hero--they wouldn't matter. And she knows that.

This is me writing her name on my Trapper Keeper and drawing hearts and swords all around it.

Was it just me who was totally unsurprised about Quentin's parents? I swear we knew that. As she was dropping anvils I kept thinking, did Toby forget? Because I was absolutely positive Quentin's parentage was established already. That being said, how great was he, speaking from the position of one who knows what it is like to be trained to rule and have that responsibility? He's growing up.

Arden Windermere is great. I felt like I could understand her. Her fear, her hesitation, and finally how determined she was to do what was right. To do her duty.

The short story at the end scared the hell out of me for Toby. I cannot wait to see what's next in this world.

tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Chimes at Midnight
4 Stars

In her quest to rid the streets of San Francisco of the addictive and deadly Goblin Fruit, Changeling PI Toby Daye finds herself at loggerheads with the Queen of the Mists, who finally has the reason she needs to exile the troublesome hero. This forces Toby to take extreme measures as the Queen's claim to the throne is less than valid. Can Toby locate the rightful heir before she falls victim to the Queen's machinations?

After initially reading the blurb, the idea of Toby's exile had me concerned about the direction of the series. Thankfully, my worries were for naught as this turned out to be an exceedingly satisfying story with some exciting revelations and interesting new questions to ponder.

More details on the nature and extent of Toby's magic are revealed, and it is becoming abundantly clear that with her ability to read people's memories through their blood and even "borrow" their powers, she is one dangerous enemy to have.

Tybalt and Toby's romance is going from strength to strength. His unconditional love and acceptance have gained him pride of place in my Hottie Harem and she has finally realized just how much he means to her.

The insurrection plot is intriguing as readers learn more about the political history of the North American fae and we are introduced to the Library of Stars (very cool!). The climax and resolution are action packed as some open issues are resolved, such as who Quentin's parents are (although that one was a bit obvious), and new secrets emerge (Who is Amandine's other husband? Who want to kill the Queen, and what destiny is the Luidaeg preparing Toby for?).

In sum, an exciting installment with one or two truly scary moments, but all's well that end's well. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Love this series! Toby's far mac almost makes her human when the queen tries to get her addicted. Can't wait for the next book! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I have enjoyed Seanan McGuire’s OCTOBER DAYE urban fantasies, but a few of her more recent novels in the series seemed to introduce too many characters and bring too many different magic systems into play. However, the latest two novels, Chimes at Midnight and The Winter Long (which I’ll review soon), have knocked my socks off with tight plotting and memorable characters. Now I once again find myself impatient for the next one to arrive, and annoyed that the September 1 publication date is so far away.

In Chimes at Midnight, Toby is working with her team — her lover, Tybalt, the local King of Cats; May, Toby’s Fetch; Jasmine, May’s shapeshifting lover; Quentin, Toby’s squire; and Raj, Tybalt’s heir — to hunt for goblin fruit. Goblin fruit is no problem for pure-blooded fairies, but for changelings like Toby, it’s an addiction. More than that, it’s ultimately a killer. And there’s no cure. So Toby decides that she needs to petition the Queen of the Mists for help, even though the Queen despises her. She is shocked when the Queen proves to be the channel by which the goblin fruit has reached the realm outside Faerie. Worse, the Queen is so put out by Toby’s petition that she gives her three days to get her affairs in order before she is banished from the Kingdom of the Mists.

It’s a great wind-up for a plot that soon has Toby charging both within and without the Kingdom to discover how the Queen got her throne and whether she truly belongs upon it. In the process, she uses every connection she has formed in the prior seven books in the series to solve her problem. After visits to a number of locations, including a Library that sounds wonderful, and Borderlands, a San Francisco SF bookstore that actually exists in our world as well (and is also wonderful),* it appears that Toby is well on her way to having this case cleared up — until she gets hit with a complication so immense that one wonders if McGuire has finally given her character a problem she can’t solve.

And from there it gets worse.

McGuire writes with such urgency that it is difficult to cease reading Chimes at Midnight once you start. The plotting doesn’t apply just to this book; McGuire pulls on threads she has left hanging throughout her series to weave one big tapestry. As one character puts it, to mix my metaphors, Toby lives in a “stew of myths,” and every myth is called into play here. It is a masterful performance.

Don’t start the OCTOBER DAYE series here; you’ll be lost. Go back to Rosemary and Rue and read straight through all of them. You’ll want to do it at a frantic pace, so set aside some serious time. Enjoy!

Originally published at http://www.fantasyliterature.com/we-love-this-book/chimes-at-midnight/ ( )
1 vote TerryWeyna | Feb 27, 2015 |
In this book, Toby gets her whole network of friends an allies working to save the world, and you can finally see where she really shines. I found it very satisfying to watch all those threads come together and see the major and minor reveals for so many characters. It does feel a lot like this is the book that the series has been heading towards, whether you knew it or not. In some series, this would be in the end, but for October Daye, this seems to be a new beginning.
  terriko | Feb 8, 2015 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
G-Force DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jude and Alan, the staff at Borderland books. But especially for Ripley. We miss you.
Like many port towns, San Francisco is a city built on top of its own bones, one where broad modern streets can exist side by side with narrow alleys and abandoned thoroughfares.
Includes the short story "Never Shines the Sun" set when Toby is 7.

Things are starting to look up for October "Toby" Daye. She's training her squire, doing her job, and has finally allowed herself to grow closer to the local King of Cats. It seems like her life may finally be settling down...at least until dead changelings start appearing in the alleys of San Francisco, killed by an overdose of goblin fruit.Toby's efforts to take the problem to the Queen of the Mists are met with harsh reprisals, leaving her under sentence of exile from her home and everyone she loves. Now Toby must find a way to reverse the Queens decree, get the goblin fruit off the streets--and, oh, yes, save her own life, since more than a few of her problems have once again followed her home. And then there's the question of the Queen herself, who seems increasingly unlikely to have a valid claim to the throne...To find the answers, October and her friends will have to travel from the legendary Library of Stars into the hidden depths of the Kingdom of the Mists--and they'll have to do it fast, because time is running out. In faerie, some fates are worse than death.October Daye is about to find out what they are.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible