A Land More Kind Than Home: A Novel by Wiley…

A Land More Kind Than Home: A Novel (2012)

by Wiley Cash

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (eenerd)
    eenerd: Another exceptional domestic drama/suspense.
    Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin (sturlington)
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (Bici47)
    Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio (thenothing)
    thenothing: Appalachia, family relationships, southern fiction

English (98)  Dutch (1)  All languages (99)
I read this for a book club. It was well written but it was a story to tragic for me to enjoy. And I HATE snakes and there were far too many for me in this book. I need a hero, and this sadly lacks anyone I would call a hero. ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 2, 2018 |
What a heartbreaking story. This was the first book I ever listened to in its entirety via audiobook. I likefd how it was written from the point of view of three different characters. Sometimes the flashbacks got to be too much. I liked the way Cash described things, but often it was too detailed. Cash never explained what became of Julie at the end. He alluded to the fact that Jimmy was taking care of him, so did she just run off, or what? I would like to read more from this author. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jan 31, 2018 |
This was an engrossing quick read. I enjoyed the drama, the characters and the southern setting. I heard Wiley Cash speak at our library and he gave probably the best author talks I have heard. Cash explained his background his education and what is involved in getting a book published. ( )
  janw | Nov 13, 2017 |
Good story about good and evil with POV's from a child, a sheriff, and an elderly woman. Distinctly regional and best read in autumn. Really looking forward to reading his next novel 'This Dark Road to Mercy'. ( )
  KatyBee | Sep 24, 2017 |
A church committed to handling poisonous snakes is the catalyst for tragedy in this debut novel. Pastor Carson Chambliss has a small North Carolina congregation in his thrall. He decides that a laying on of hands will cure an autistic boy, but instead his efforts lead to the boy's death. Cash employs three characters as narrators: Jess, the nine-year-old younger brother; Adelaide Lyle, an aged local midwife; and the county sheriff. Jess' narration is limited by his age and innocence. The county sheriff is taciturn, but Adelaide is voluble, a true southern storyteller, and her narration burnishes a compelling sense of rural place.--Gaughan, Thomas Copyright 2010 Booklist
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Thomas Gaughan

"Es hat nach mir gerufen in der Nacht und hat zu mir gesagt, ich werde sterben - wo weiss ich nicht. Es hat gesagt: 'Lass fahren diese Erde, die du kennst, um höherer Erkenntnisse willen; lass fahren die geliebten Freunde, um einer höheren Liebe willen; ein Land erwartet dich, das gültiger als die Heimat ist und grösser als die Erde...'" - Thomas Wolfe, Es führt kein Weg zurück
Für M.N.B.
Kiesstaub wehte über den Parkplatz, während ich im Wagen sass und das Gebäude als das sah, was es gewesen war; nicht als das, was jetzt in diesem Augenblick im heißen Sonnenlicht war, sondern rund zwölf oder fünfzehn Jahre zuvor: ein grosser Gemischtwarenladen, wo sich die Leute vor der Essenstheke drängelten oder in einer Schlange vor dem Limonadenstand warteten, wo kleine Kinder sich Eis in so ziemlich jeder erdenkbaren Geschmacksrichtung bestellten, wo sie Bonbons in Viertelpfundtüten kauften, Schokokekse, Zuckermandeln und andere Sachen, auf die ich seit Jahren schon keinen Appetit mehr hatte.
It takes a lifetime to build equity in loss.

Deep in the heart of western North Carolina lies Marshall, a quiet, unassuming mountain town that believes in protecting its own-especially if they harbor secrets. That't the way it's always been-and always will be-a belief instilled in them for generations. For a curious boy like Jesse Hall, growing up in Marshall means trouble when your mother catches you spying on grownups. An adventurous, precocious boy, Jess is enormously protective of his older brother, Christopher, a mute whom everyone calls Stump. Though their mother has warned them not to snoop, Stump can't help sneaking a look at something he isn't supposed to-an act that will have catastrophic repercussions, shattering both his world and Jess's. It is a wrenching event that thrusts Jess into an adulthood for which he is not prepared. While there is mch about the world that still confuses him, he now knows that new understanding can bring not only a growing danger and evil, but the balm of freedom and deliverance as well. (ARC)
To cure a mute, pray

In your own style for it;

Despair to follow.

(legallypuzzled)

Growing up in a small North Carolina town, Jess Hall is plunged into an adulthood for which he is not prepared when his autistic older brother, Stump, sneaks a look at something he is not supposed to see, which has catastrophic repercussions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,824,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible