Stay Close by Harlan Coben

Stay Close (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Harlan Coben (Author)

Three people--a suburban housewife, a talented documentary photographer, and a detective--living lives they never wanted, hiding secrets that even those closest to them would never suspect, will find that the past doesn't recede ... and that desperation and hunger can lurk behind even the prettiest facades.… (more)
Member:Shannonb8
Title:Stay Close
Authors:Harlan Coben (Author)
Info:Dutton (2013), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Collections:Craft room

Work Information

Stay Close by Harlan Coben (2012)

English (67)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (74)
Mystery
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
• Engaging and enterprising. Held my interest and kept me wanting to read more.
• Barbie & Ken seem a bit laughable and the most unbelievable characters in the book.
• I appreciate the loose ends being cleaned up in the epilogue.
• Coben is quickly becoming a favorite author of mine.
• As for the Netflix Series: WOW!! So many differences but when it ended my jaw was hanging open!! I absolutely loved it!! ( )
  ShayPoolman | Nov 4, 2023 |
I love Coben's books, but this one did was a slow burner and difficult to read. His characters are always flawed and that I do like -- I just had difficulty truly liking any of them. While I had the end figured prior to the ending -- it did not come upon me right away. ( )
  thekellyfamily | Aug 26, 2023 |
I love Coben's Myron Bolitar series. And I keep reading his stand alone books hoping for that excitement and intensity of Bolitar books. I keep being disappointed. This book was no different. I was 80% (thank you Kndle for the measurement) into the book before the main characters figured out that there was indeed a serial killer. It just took entirely too long to get to the point of the mystery. And then once we got there, it was as if the author ran out of steam and just slapped together a quick ending to get the pain over with - almost like ripping a band aid off a wound.

Sadly, I won't be recommending this book to anyone. ( )
  Fish_Witch | Jul 4, 2023 |
I had never read a book by this author, I know shocking, since I think he has 30 books. I really struggled to get into this book, and I think the reason was that the story is told from three different viewpoints- those of the three main characters. I have never struggled with this way of writing a book before. The other problem was, it was as if the author was given three characters and his job was to develop each one and then put them in a story. The points of this story trickle out like molasses and it isn’t until the last 20 pages that you find out who the killer actually was. But there wasn’t any real interest development around this part of the story. For me it was a case of what is the book actually about, and do I care, and by the end it was wrapped up far to quickly.
The author can definitely write good characters but I will try one other book to see if he can actually write a story worth reading. ( )
  zmagic69 | Mar 31, 2023 |

Coben, Harlanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Busk, SisselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
España, Ramón deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gommers, KarienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lund, NannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Well now everything dies, baby that's a fact. But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back. - Bruce Springsteen, "Atlantic City"
This one is for Aunt Diane and Uncle Norman Reiter and Aunt Hene and Uncle Marty Kromberg, with love and gratitude.
Sometimes, in that split second when Ray Levine snapped a picture and lost the world in the strobe from his flashbulb, he saw the blood.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,285,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible