Flashpoint

by Geoff Johns, Sandra Hope (Illustrator), Andy Kubert (Illustrator)

Other authors: Jesse Delperdang (Illustrator)

Series: Flashpoint

Barry Allen is a hero. He protects the innocent and battles evil as the Flash - the world's fastest man. But this is not the world he knew. This is a world where Wonder Woman and Aquaman have plunged millions into the darkness of war...where the fastest man alive is just another man.

What a twist

Excellent book on a what if creating flash as the villian and such a darker Batman along with a shaman twist ( )
  DanJlaf | May 13, 2021 |
  slick_schick | Jun 16, 2020 |
a bit messy, what with alternate timelines background stories not completely fleshed out. but i've seen the animated movie based on this graphic novel and that helped keep it straight in my head. ( )
  riida | May 22, 2020 |
So in my recent (and first) foray into (non-manga) comics, I read up enough to figure out I should give this volume a shot since I was just going to start with Rebirth volumes. I knew it would give me some background on the world since Barry's time travel faux pas, which it did indeed do, but I was also super confused for the first half of the book.

Let it be known that I'm generally wary of time travel stuff. The idea is cool, absolutely, but if I'm playing a game that has time travel, I get way too stressed about what's going to be affected. When I see it in a show, they typically focus on what it is they want to go into the past/future for, and things that would obviously change because of their interference aren't even given a second of screen time, I guess to avoid getting too deep into the concept. For me, I'd rather see an all-or-nothing portrayal of time travel, not a cherry-picked "we just won't go into that because it would take a lot more work." It's usually either stressful or half-assed, so I just avoid it for the most part.

I guess in this sense, Flashpoint did a pretty good job. Barry's trip to the past and saving his mother has had literally catastrophic consequences. The overall story and concept weren't confusing, but I think my lack of detailed DC knowledge is what threw me off for a bit. I grew up with a lot of these characters, but I wasn't reading the comics or following the DCU changes. I was still able to get through it and figure out why some things were the way they were, so it wasn't too bad.

The story could have been a little more fleshed out, but I think it works best in its current format. It could also have been less about recruiting Batman, which felt a little ridiculous. "We'll just let the world be destroyed since Batman isn't on board with the whole team effort." Talk about petty.

Overall, I'm glad I read this volume for the sake of some background, as I'm so late in the comics game. There were some things about it, other than my own lack of information about characters, that were a little tedious or unnecessary, but it was, for the most part, enjoyable. ( )
  Octjillery | May 5, 2020 |
What the hell did I just read? Flash wakes up and finds the world is different where Wonder Woman and aqua man have murdered millions and humans are caught in a war between amazons and Atlanteans. Flash looks for help and finds it with Thomas Wayne. Flash is slowly forgetting what’s real or not anymore and must change the present to save his time.

This book was so bad. It was laughably bad. So many dumb parts in this book where I rolled my eyes so many times...there were plots that set dues ex machine (Superman) and...I don’t even want to write about this

Favorite parts;
-Thomas Wayne is cool
-great art
-Superman being this skinny dude and him sticking to who he is even if he was tested and tortured on his whole life

Least:
-flash getting his powers back
-ww and Arthur’s portrayals
-the where’s Waldo of character intros and how they are different in this world
-cyborg is so lame
- ( )
  NoobNoob | Oct 20, 2018 |

Geoff Johnsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hope, SandraIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubert, AndyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Delperdang, JesseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,239,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible