dismiss

How to Know God: The Soul's Journey into the…

How to Know God: The Soul's Journey into the Mystery of Mysteries (edition 2001)

by Deepak Chopra (Author)

The author shares his perspective on how to find and know God, blending philosophy and science to argue that the knowledge is hard-wired into the brain, and introducing the seven stages one must pass through to fully experience the divine.
Member:stpetelibrary
Title:How to Know God: The Soul's Journey into the Mystery of Mysteries
Authors:Deepak Chopra (Author)
Info:Harmony (2001), 336 pages
Tags:God, Spiritual life

How to Know God: The Soul's Journey into the Mystery of Mysteries by Deepak Chopra

I’m on a more biblical path now, so I thought I’d re-evaluate what I think of the book.

Basically, now I want to memorize the Psalms, so that’s going to interfere with the desire I once had to read all of Dyer & Chopra, at least once.

Stereotypical TV General: *upset* There isn’t. Time.

As to its value, if I can say after going over it once, well, of course I don’t know if his stages of God-consciousness are the best possible, or, more to the point, if assuming that his outline has merit, whether he prepared the dish like a Gordon Ramsay or a teenager or something in-between.

But I will say this: it’s better than watching TV. TV at its best is harmless, but.

When it comes down to ultimate things, that’s when you really become either proud or wise, and I don’t think that you have to clone me to advance.

And, you know, (affirmations) and meditation and other forms of new age study and repetition are a better primer for memorization study than.... sci-fi comedies.

“The giant squids are overcoming the earth! E gad!”

Bless and do not curse.
  smallself | Nov 19, 2019 |
Generally, this is one genre of books that I don't particularly buy into. Why did I think this one would be any different? Well, I guess the name Deepak Chopra carries more weight than I thought it would. Let me explain. When someone goes and writes over eighty books on anything and has a good proportion of those books in the New York Times Bestseller list, I suppose a lot of weight is added to their words and works. Plus a lot of people gave this book a five-star rating. Collectively, people know things and have good opinions, right?

Personally, this book just got hokier as it continued. It started out well enough, try to tie quantum mechanics into our search for God. This makes some sense I guess. I mean, the quantum physicists themselves spend a great deal of time saying things like how quantum mechanics can't be understood or whatever. No one goes and doubts the existence of Atoms though. Even though most of Quantum Physics is equations and other esoteric abstractions, there are pieces of evidence for them existing.

This "Doctor" Chopra gives credence to the idea of clairvoyance and other pseudoscientific ideas. As many people have quipped before, "to any telepaths in the room, raise my hand." This is just the tip of the iceberg for this man. He irresponsibly states that science has shown that prayer is effective. If someone gets cancer, I am sure they appreciate being prayed for, but I am surer that they will appreciate the science that is fighting for them even more.

As you know, there are seven levels of spiritual development that people go through. The bottom is the atheist and the top is the true believer. Or something like that. I just skipped through after he started throwing clairvoyance and other things at me. It reminds me of the story of the counting horse or some other carnival act. If you are a Chopra completionist, you might enjoy this, though if the book does contain a blurb about his eighty other books, you might want to try one before he seemingly sold out. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Wonderful! ( )
  Arten60 | Jul 24, 2009 |
"The bestselling author of Ageless Body, Timeless Mind has written his most ambitious and important work yet -- an exploration of the seven ways we experience God. These are shaped, not by any one religion, but by an instinct that is hardwired into the brain.
In this remarkable book, Chopra takes us step by step from the first stage, where the brain's ""fight or flight"" response leads us to a God who is an all-powerful and sometimes unpredictable parent, to the seventh stage, where the brain experiences God as pure being, beyond thought, a sacred presence. It is at this seventh stage that we attain a true, life-changing spiritual understanding of the world and our place in it; it is the level at which saints and sages dwell. All seven stages are available to each of us, all the time.
In How to Know God, Deepak Chopra charts a fascinating course as he explores mysticism, religious ecstasy, genius, telepathy, multiple personality and clairvoyance, drawing insights from psychology, neurology and physics, as well as from the great religions. The result is vintage Chopra applied to the greatest subject of all: the ultimate quest we are all on, whether we realize it or not. For, as Chopra puts it, ""God is our highest instinct to know ourselves."" This extraordinary book makes a dramatic, and enduring, contribution to that knowledge."
  rajendran | Aug 13, 2008 |
This is a wonderful book in which Chopra discusses faith. I read it not long after 9/11, and I believe it really helped me sort through things in my mind. I'd recommend this very highly to any and everyone. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 10, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible