The Shadow of a Great Rock: A Literary…

by Harold Bloom

Examines the King James translation of the Bible, comparing it with other translations and noting its superiority over previous editions, and highlights the influences of the King James Bible in literature from the Romantic era to today.
Member:WesleyTSLibrary
Title:The Shadow of a Great Rock: A Literary Appreciation of the King James Bible
Authors:Harold Bloom
Info:Yale University Press (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages

Work Information

The Shadow of a Great Rock: A Literary Appreciation of the King James Bible by Harold Bloom

I don't know why I read anything by Harold Bloom - he's just a hard read for me. But I always learn something, as I did in reading this book.
ADDENDUM: Now, about six months after finishing this book, I have changed my rating to 4-stars. As a book, it's one thing - but considering the long-term effect it has had on me, well....that's something else. I picked up this book at a time in my life when I was looking for something to salvage in my relationship with the Bible, and I found it here. Who knew? I have embraced again the old KJV, not for the reasons that motivate some of my conservative Christian friends, but for the reasons that Bloom suggests (at least, this is where my mind went) - that inspiration gives us a tiny little glimmer of understand of God, The Other, The Holy, or whatever name one wishes to use. This book rescued me. ( )
  anitatally | Feb 28, 2019 |
A curious and scintillating analysis of religious text as literary work. Bloom says he's spent his whole life working on this book, and one can feel that here, comparing previous versions, and the original Hebrew, and making comparisons to other great masterworks.

A slim volume, but one dense with insights. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,318,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible