A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man…

A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man [Norton Critical Edition]

by James Joyce

This Norton Critical Edition is based on Hans Gabler's acclaimed text and is accompanied by his introduction and textual notes. John Paul Riquelme provides detailed explanatory annotations."Backgrounds and Contexts" is thematically organized to provide readers with a clear picture of the novel's historical, cultural, and literary inspirations. Topics include "Political Nationalism: Irish History, 1798-1916," "The Irish Literary and Cultural Revival," "Religion," and "Aesthetic Backgrounds.""Criticism" begins with John Paul Riquelme's helpful essay on the novel's structural form and follows with twelve diverse interpretations by, among others, Kenneth Burke, Umberto Eco, Hugh Kenner, Maud Ellmann, Joseph Valente, and Marian Eide.A Selected Bibliography is also included.… (more)

Hmm. A pretty good naturalistic novel about an Irish young man who wants to become a writer. I do not find it offensive (as some others, apparently, do). It is not unlike Stephen Crane or James T. Farrell. I would have to say "Nicely Done." The various essays about the book that are included in this edition are very useful for anyone who wants to know what Joyce's motivations may have been. ( )
  Farree | Feb 20, 2019 |
I like this more every time I read it. I still don't love it, but I like that I see something different to appreciate each time. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
Marginally better than [Ulysses] for me. I think it's because Joyce makes it so easy to loathe Stpehen. Once again, this is one of those books that I can appreciate as part of the canon, but I don't have to like it. Joyce was amazingly talented, but the best thing about this book was when I got to stop trying to understand all his Catholic and Jesuit references. Maybe if Stephen can admit what a pompous jerk he is I woulnd't hate him so much. ( )
1 vote VivalaErin | Nov 19, 2010 |
The Norton Critical Editions are considered separate from the main work.  Please do not combine with the main work.  Thank you.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,790,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible