Defensive Wounds: A Novel of Suspense by…

Defensive Wounds: A Novel of Suspense (edition 2011)

by Lisa Black

Rating:***

Defensive Wounds by Lisa Black

SLOW. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
I think I found this browsing the mystery shelves at the library.

It was good but a little graphic. Descriptive and detailed, which became kind of a chore to follow. Not sure trying to follow mattered much.

The forensic details about hair and fiber and blood spatter wasn't very interesting and didn't really drive the story. And it seems kinda unlikely that a forensic scientist (Theresa) would end up figuring out the murderer.

But I did like the characters - Theresa and her cousin Frank, and his partner Angela. And the angle about defense attorneys using unfair tactics to get their clients off the hook was interesting too. ( )
  BeckiMarsh | Sep 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Theresa gets a call that a murder has happened at the Ritz-Carlton. Attorney, Marie Corrigan was murdered. No one really sheds a tear for Marie. Everyone thought she was a major "B" including Theresa. At first Marie's death seems like a sexual act gone wrong but when another attorney ends up dead, it is up to Theresa to uncover the truth before it is too late.

Another book marked off my TBR pile. Sorry I did not read this book sooner. I really like Theresa. She is smart and calls the shots in a male driven job. I was impressed by how she solved the murders. While at the same time trying to be a good mother to her teen daughter. I have to admit that I could have cared less about the victims but the crime itself in why the lawyers were murdered had me really intrigued. To be honest, I was trying to solve the murder before Theresa did. I failed. However when it was all revealed I was like "I did not see that coming". This is always a good thing when it comes to a murder, mystery, suspense novel. You want to be surprised and it is nice when this does happen. So often a lot of books in this genre can become very predictable. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 3, 2014 |
In this fourth novel in Lisa Black’s captivating suspense series, forensic investigator Theresa MacLean finds herself embroiled in a case in which everyone has a motive and everyone is a suspect—especially when high-powered defense attorneys start turning up dead. (Amazon.com)

The mystery and plot were intriguing and the ending was unexpected, but there was too much forensic detail in my opinion, which slowed the pace. ( )
  lrobe190 | May 1, 2012 |
I enjoyed listening to this book although I figured out who perpetrated one of the crimes before it was revealed. Defense lawyers are having a convention in the Ritz-Carlton in Cleveland. Theresa MacLean, a forensic investigator in Cleveland, is summoned to the Ritz by her daughter who is working on the front desk. One of the lawyers, Marie Corrigan, has been murdered in the Presidential suite. Theresa starts working on the scene immediately. The body is naked and tied up with her head bashed in by a hotel chair. Is it a lovers' tryst gone bad? Perhaps but when two more lawyers are killed in the hotel in a few days it seems unlikely. Meanwhile Theresa discovers that the boy who is hanging with her daughter at work was accused of murder when he was a juvenile. He was found not guilty in his trial at which he was represented by the same Marie Corrigan. But everyone knows that not guilty is not the same as innocent and Theresa is worried about her daughter dating him.

Apparently the author was a forensic scientist in Cleveland so when she is dealing with the forensic evidence she gets all the details right. There are a few snide comments about CSI because in real life forensics don't run as smoothly as shown on those shows. The plotting was quite good but the characterizations were a little wooden I thought. Nevertheless I would recommend it to anyone who likes forensic mysteries such as Kathy Reichs' books. ( )
  gypsysmom | Apr 6, 2012 |
For Elaine
Wednesday

The first volley came in the form of a text message.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006198941X, Hardcover)

When Marie Corrigan, a Cleveland defense attorney with a history of falsifying evidence and no shortage of enemies, is found dead in the presidential suite at the Ritz-Carlton, most people would agree that she had it coming. Forensic investigator Theresa MacLean is summoned to the crime scene by her daughter, Rachel, who is working the front desk. But even before Theresa enters the room, she knows that she’s walking into a forensic nightmare—for crime scenes at hotels, even the most luxurious, are teeming with trace evidence that has been left behind by innumerable guests and may or may not be related to the murder. But what Theresa finds is even worse than she imagined.

Given the positioning of Marie’s body, everyone assumes the same thing—that it’s a lovers’ tryst turned lethal. But large questions remain: How did the killer gain access to the room without anyone’s knowledge? And has the scene been staged for their benefit? The little evidence Theresa has is conflicting at best. What’s more, a legal convention at the hotel provides an endless list of suspects—and potential victims.

When two more bodies show up in quick succession, each in a similar state, Theresa’s investigation takes on a whole new urgency as she fears they may have a serial killer on their hands—a serial killer with a vendetta. But as she searches for the threads that tie the cases together, Theresa begins to suspect that she and her daughter are closer to danger than they realize. And a mother will stop at nothing to protect the life of her child.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Called in to investigate the brutal murder of a local attorney whose body was found in the Ritz-Carlton, the hotel where her daughter is working for the summer, forensic scientist Theresa MacLean must unravel the clues to stop a killer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lisa Black's book Defensive Wounds was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,420,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible