Catwoman Volume 1: Trail of the Catwoman

by Darwyn Cooke, Ed Brubaker

Series: Catwoman [2002] (1-9 + Selina's Big Score)

For years, Selina Kyle has prowled the skyline of Gotham City as its most famous thief, Catwoman. But when word spreads of Catwoman's demise, Selina decides to leave the costumed world behind and continue her trade cloaked in the shadows. Unable to enjoy her newfound anonymity for too long though, Selina decides that she must return to her infamous persona. Donning a new costume and attitude, Catwoman returns to the streets and sets her sights on the serial killer that has been preying upon the streetwalkers she calls friends.… (more)

Catwoman has never been very high upon my list of favorite characters in the DC Universe.
Until now, that is. This volume made me fall in love with her. Brilliant writing. I´m a bit on the fence about the artwork, though. Not a real fan, although I appreciate how the style supported the type of story-telling, giving it this lovely classic pulp detective vibe. The use of different typography for the different story-tellers was cleverly implemented. ( )
  HeyMimi | Dec 27, 2020 |
Catwoman Volume one: Trail of the Catwoman is a 2012 DC Comics publication. (Originally published in 2008)

Because I thought it would be fun to name my new kitten after Catwoman, it was only fitting that I catch up on a few graphic novels featuring in Selina Kyle.

This volume is hefty. Selina’s Big score, plus detective comics 759-762 = Three hundred + pages.

Why I am drawn to the Catwoman character is her complexity. She’s got a painful past, has not always walked on good side of the law, but is a character how wants to be a good person.

In this collection, Selina has faked her own death. She returns to Gotham City, has a little bit of a makeover, and then begins doing some detective work hoping to find a serial killer targeting sex -workers.

The action takes place in the East End where the people need an equalizer of Catwoman’s caliber.

The first part of the novel is part heist, part noir, and sets the stage Selina/Catwoman’s new outlook on life.

I enjoyed the graphics, dialogue and stories included in this collection. I have even more angles of Catwoman to ponder on and found this volume to be entertaining and a nice diversion for me. Now onto Volume 2. ( )
  gpangel | Sep 8, 2020 |
Don't have a lot to compare this to, as I've never read a Catwoman comic before, but the artwork was amazing and I enjoyed the story. It's always great to read a comic with an ass kicking female superhero. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
  nerdythor | May 30, 2017 |

Cooke, Darwynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brubaker, Edmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Catwoman [2002] (1-9 + Selina's Big Score)

Belongs to Publisher Series

This is a different collection from "Catwoman Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street".  Please do not combine the two.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,485,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible