Indestructibles: Old MacDonald Had a Farm

by Amy Pixton, Jonas Sickler (Illustrator)

623347,566 (5)None
PICTURE BOOKS. Indestructibles are the 100 percent baby proof, chew proof, rip proof, completely washable, and nontoxic series of books. Books built for the way babies read, Indestructibles are printed on an amazing nontoxic, paperlike material that holds up to endless chewing, gumming, gnawing, grabbing, bending, and pulling. Then, once the books get dirty, parents can throw them in a dishwasher or washing machine to make them clean as new. The title is adapted from classic nursery rhymes and illustrated by Jonas Sickler. Sickler's paintings are whimsical and fun, filled with dazzling textures and eye-popping color. They will grab and keep a baby's attention, and delight adults. The book offers a multicultural twist on a classic nursery rhyme -- "Old MacDonald Has a Farm," set in Bolivia is full of llamas, alpacas, sheep, and cows. The text for the nursery rhyme is printed on the back cover. Ages 1+.… (more)

diverse book for babies (board-book alternative, set in Bolivia)
I like the "indestructable" pages, it's a paper-like material that holds up to chewing, drooling, washing, etc. with durably vibrant colors and with soft edges (no worries about paper-cuts). I had to LINK this from another library since my library doesn't carry it, but I am pleased with the quality and would recommend this for sharing with babies/young toddlers--the pages are a bit small for sharing with groups (not for large storytime groups) but would be great to tuck into a bag for one-on-one time (very lightweight and portable).

The illustrations are lively, featuring an elderly, dark-skinned Bolivian farmer (with a cane), and what might be his grandson or granddaughter. Aside from the title of the book, the story is wordless, so readers can choose how they want the song to go (and with multiple animals on each page, there is plenty of inspiration to keep going). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
These books are perfect for the babies and toddlers who put everything in their mouths and love to twist and tear paper. They are truly indestrucible! My grandson has several and they are still going strong. It also gives the reader a chance to tell their version of the story/rhyme as there are no words. Little ones don't like to linger over alot of words on a page. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Dec 3, 2012 |
I absolutely love these books. I think they are a must have for anyone with babies or young toddlers. My son absolutely loves them. When he was just crawling he would get frustrated with board books. He wanted books that looked and felt like Mommy's. When a girl at one of my play dates recommended these I was skeptical. But they really do the trick. They feel like paper, but my son can naw on them, drool on them, try to rip them apart, but they just hold fast for another day (trust me, he's 13 months with 12 teeth, he chews on everything). The only thing I would change is that there are no words. Not that it's a problem now. But when he's older and we're looking for a book on the shelf to read before bed, I would love to be able to grab one of these and reminisce about how it was his favorite book, even as an infant. But other than that one self indulgent wish, I highly recommend these books! ( )
  Sariberry | Sep 8, 2011 |

Amy Pixtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sickler, JonasIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,262,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible