Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines

Libriomancer (edition 2012)

by Jim C. Hines

Series: Magic Ex Libris (1)

Gifted with the ability to draw objects out of books, Isacc Vainio, a Libriomancer, seeks assistance from a Harley-riding dryad after a number of vampire attacks are reported by other members of his secret, magic organization.
Member:ccooney
Title:Libriomancer
Authors:Jim C. Hines
Info:New York : DAW Books, c2012.
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Librarians

Work Information

Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (Author)

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (amysisson)
    Lirael by Garth Nix (MyriadBooks)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    The Forbidden Library by Django Wexler (Dragget)
    Dragget: Both of these feature books as a source of magic, though in unique ways.
    Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    Worldsoul by Liz Williams (nsblumenfeld)

English (88)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (91)
It was ok. Not really my cup of tea, though. It felt like a fan fiction book in that it had interesting concepts that just didn't feel executed very well. I did appreciate the shout out one of my favorite Star Trek authors, [a:A.C. Crispin|61277|A.C. Crispin|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1300121737p2/61277.jpg]. ( )
  LeBleuUn | Nov 14, 2021 |
Libriomancer has a lovely premise. Basically, books are magical. The more people you've had that have read the same edition of a given book, the more possible it is to magically pull various objections out of said book. Gutenberg took this principal with his first Bibles and founded an organization of Libriomancers that have existed up to the present day.

I love how many different ways Hines finds to use objects from various books (many I've read or at least heard of):

Of course, once you had yanked Conan the Barbarian's sword out of a book to fight off a rabid weresquirrel, "impossible" lost a lot of its punch.

Isaac, the main character is a Libriomancer's librarian, cataloguing new books for all of the havoc that can be wrecked with them. He's thrown into something of a war between the Libriomancers and various species of vampire (classified by Latinized versions of their author's names) and things escalate from there. There are occasional info dumps that interrupt the flow of the book, but for the most part it grabs you and won't let go.

There are all sorts of neat scenes, but the final showdown with the big bad's minions is pretty spectacular.

I fell for close to a minute before slamming face-first into the moon.

And that's not even the particularly spoilerly bit.

Other than info dumps, the other part of this book that tended to rub me the wrong way was Lena the Dryad. She gets around the 'pull a person out of a book and they come out mad' by having been pulled out as an acorn. That much is pretty cool, but she also comes with a magical compulsion to find a lover and mold herself to their interest and desires. Without that compulsion, I liked the character. With it, it's just creepy.

Overall though, neither the infodumps nor Lena's compulsion were enough to truly detract from this book. I quite enjoyed it and am looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
A cool new model of magic and a fun ride. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | May 23, 2021 |
OK, but the adventure of deactivated for lack of professional discipline libriomancer Isaac as he reactivates and saves everyone from an almost overwhelming power, doesn't have much to add to the meta-book sub-genre and both tries too hard and gets uncomfortable with it's sexual stances. ( )
  quondame | Feb 7, 2021 |
Not at all the book-magic I'm accustomed to from Genevieve Cogman and Rachel Caine...a wee bit infodumpy the first third, some slightly overextended scenes between our Porter protagonist and the Vampires, quite a large acceleration thereafter...but an EPIC ending. My fellow majgickq-disdainers: This is not the book we fear, it is a delightful expansion of a reality we all already know: Novels and tales are, in every important way, real and we can reach into them for what we love and need the most. If you were thrilled to your core by Harry Potter's Patronus or the fire lizards and dragons of Pern, you will adore Smudge the Spider.

I mean, can you resist this?
“Showing up on an acquaintance’s doorstep and asking him to become your lover . . . your mate . . . isn’t normal. Not for humans.”

“Normal?” she repeated. “Yesterday you fed me cake from Wonderland so we could ride your spider into a magical basement and fight a vampire.” ( )
  richardderus | Jan 15, 2021 |

Hines, Jim C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franken, AxelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leigh, DeniseCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Carl and Joan
Some people would say it's a bad idea to bring a fire-spider into a public library.
I cleared the screen. I couldn't count the number of times I had helped patrons track down ancestors on genealogy sites or locate long-lost classmates, and I had found books with far less information than a character's name. I was a pretty good libriomancer, but I was a damn good librarian.

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,404,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible