Famous Men of the Middle Ages by John H.…

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (edition 1904)

by John H. Haaren (Author), A. B. Poland (Author)

The story of the Middle Ages is told through the lives of such men as Attila the Hun, Charlemagne, William the Conqueror, Edward the Black Prince, and Joan of Arc. The Famous Men of the Middle Ages guides readers through the turbulent "dark age" of history and sheds light on how the world transitioned from the end of ancient times to the birth of the modern era.… (more)
Member:JFDausman
Title:Famous Men of the Middle Ages
Authors:John H. Haaren (Author)
Other authors:A. B. Poland (Author)
Info:American Book Co (1904), Edition: First Edition, 272 pages

Work Information

Famous Men of the Middle Ages by John H. Haaren

53AXAFNX
  Mustygusher | Dec 1, 2022 |
This 1904 publication is essentially designed for teaching children history, but that doesn't mean to say adults should ignore it. It offers extended summaries, rather than in-depth detail, of thirty famous men - and one woman (Joan of Ark) - of the Middle Ages.

Each chapter also covers other prominent men from these times. The period covered ranges from AD 394-1471, though it also sums up times pre-394 and briefly rounds up to 1485 when Henry VII won the English crown from Richard III.

With this being aimed at children it shouldn't be surprising that the language is simple. The advantage of this is that there are no long sections of condensed waffle or unnecessary digression. The author picks out the most relevant events and details and he explains it all in clear terms.

Being an Englishman myself I was especially interested in the chapters focused on English and British history.

My only gripe is that the author states as *fact* that Richard III was 'determined to make himself king. So he put both the young princes in the Tower. He than hired ruffians to murder them.' Where's the evidence? I can only surmise that Mr Haareen was influenced by Shakespeare.

He also states as fact that 'Richard was a bad man.' I know many people agree with this, but I'm not convinced. Wasn't much of Richard's reputation owed to Tudor propaganda?

I accept, however, that there wasn't the information available for historians in 1904 compared to what modern historians have at there disposal. I guess it was hard for someone in the early 1900s to present a balanced account of events that took place in 1483-85.

Apart from the few points on Richard III, this book was worth reading. I recommend this to anyone with an interest in this period of history but not to anyone in search of in-depth views or critical analysis. ( )
1 vote PhilSyphe | Nov 15, 2013 |

John H. Haarenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Poland, Addison B.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Shearer, Cynthia A.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Shearer, Robert Gsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,322,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible