SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

No One Here Gets Out Alive

by Jerry Hopkins, Danny Sugerman

Jim Morrison singer, philosopher, poet, delinquent is here in all his complexity, the brilliant and the obsessive disciple of darkness who rejected authority and probed the bounds of reality to see what would happen . Jim Morrison was lead singer of the Doors, one of the most popular and controversial rock groups of the late sixties. Worshipped by the fans, hated by the establishment, hounded by the media, Morrison stood for all the unpredictable and forbidden excitement that youth dreamed of. No One Here Gets Out Alive strips bare the facts from the fantasies of his life and mysterious death in Paris in 1971, exposing the myth-maker who was both hailed as a poet of the counter culture and reviled as a corruptor of youth.… (more)

English (20)  Danish (1)  All languages (21)
Jim was one f'ed up dude. Who knew he had an 146 IQ. Could drink like a fish. Did find some of the questions about his death interesting. Lot of credit to his band mates for putting up with him. Seeems like he had a lot of anger. ( )
  bermandog | Jun 19, 2021 |
A well written book about the life and mystery surrounding Jim Morrison ( )
  TenkaraSmart | Jun 8, 2021 |
I like to think about what Jim Morrison might have done with the rest of his life if it’s true he faked his death to escape. Painter? Poet? Philosophy teacher?

I’d like his disapproving Dad to know that I’m almost 60 and I can remember so many Doors songs because of the deep and weird lyrics delivered in that soulful voice. There was plenty of talent there, Admiral. Too bad you cared about hair length more than you did your son.
  KaterinaBead | Aug 12, 2019 |
I attempted to start this a couple of times, but struggled to get into it mostly due to how badly written it is. It is sporadic in its anecdotes, some of them feel like they don't have a point. There are a lot of people mentioned, many whom aren't introduced, so as a reader I was unsure what relevance they had to Jim Morrison or to the event begin spoken about. But I did wonder if the chaotic way in which this was written was deliberate, to try and give an idea what it was like being around Jim Morrison and in that period of time in the late 60s, early 70s - a reflection of the time and the man.

I did enjoy the insight, although I had hoped to have a clearer idea about his demise, but it seems it will always be shrouded in mystery. The only thing I can be sure of is that with the quantity of alcohol and drugs Jim consumed, if he had faked his death, he probably wouldn't have survived for many years after. An interesting read, although a difficult one at times, which didn't flow well. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
I mostly remember this book because I got one of my favorite quotes from it. But I did enjoy it. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |

Jerry Hopkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Danny Sugermanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was; just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
Los Angeles, 1969
Erin & Nicky & Rebecca

--Jerry
Ray & Jim

--Danny
Jim Morrison was well on his way to becoming a mythic hero while he was still alive -- he was, few will dispute, a living legend.
Once, when the snow was packed high in the mountains outside Albuquerque, near Sandia Peak, Steve and Clara Morrison took their children tobogganing.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446602280, 0446697338

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,347,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible