Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama by Alison…

Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alison Bechdel

648None14,867 (3.74)63
Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama
Authors:Alison Bechdel
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2012), Edition: 1st Edition, 1st Printing, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:LGBT, Autobiography, Mothers, Mothers and Daughters, Family, Graphic, Psychoanalysis

Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama by Alison Bechdel (2012)

Recently added bypatsaintsfan, mdoris, LoisCK, teresakayep, private library, lmm161, GLSO, ernilysj, JonathanGorman

English (43)  Danish (1)  All languages (44)
This was a more difficult read than Fun Home--it includes a lot more psychology jargon and references than I was prepared for. But it's still Alison Bechdel and still very good. Honestly though, her books are so deeply personal I feel like a voyeur. I wish I could give half stars--it deserves more than 3, but I don't feel quite enthusiastic enough about it to give 4. ( )
  jaelikesbooks | Jan 18, 2014 |
Are You My Mother? is not, if you ask me, about Bechdel's mother. It is mostly about Bechdel, her creative demons, her childhood, her relationships with lovers and, yes, therapists. Bechdel writes well and the whole book is drawn beautifully with a lot of attention to detail. Panels flow well and they tell a story in physical space as well as in several moments in time. She often has a narration going on as she is having a conversation with someone while, say, she is driving somewhere. The work is meticulous and polished. Her mom calls the book a meta-book, which is very apt. Most of the book concerns itself with psychoanalysis and psychology. Freud, Jung, Winnicott, and Virginia Woolf dominate the text. Beyond that there is a personal life that is very much like most personal lives: love, hate, deceit, anxiety, regret, brilliance, career woes, insecurities, money problems, gender issues... There are some very funny moments, but the overall feel of the book is anxious and slightly claustrophobic. Bechdel does a very good job in telling the story and using her art to break down, almost crystallize, certain feelings and moments.

All in all, Are You My Mother? is an intellectual delight to read with some great art. It is also an act of bravery and self-indulgence. I do not recommend it to people who cannot multitask, who have short attention span, or who do not like to read about lofty complex psychological concepts. Highly recommended for intellectuals, moms, dads, and artists ("the humanities people," as I like to call them!) ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
I have a sneaking suspicion that the 3 stars says something about my mother/daughter relationship with my mother rather than this. It's sa look at Alison and her mother and the ups and downs of their relatioships with each other, including the writing of the previous book, Fun Home. It also includes some of her therapy sessions and relationships. It would probably appeal to people who enjoy reading about navel-gazing, I don't happen to be one. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 5, 2013 |
I was working at a bookstore when Bechdel's first memoir--"Fun Home"--was released. I picked it up because of the cover, and I couldn't put it down! After that, I was given a copy of "The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For"--a collection of her comic strips. I loved that one, too. So, needless to say, I couldn't wait to get my hands on "Are You My Mother?" This book was like Fun Home and different from it. It was both a continuation and a completely new story. I enjoyed everything about this book. From a synthesis of Woolf, Freud, Winnicott, and Seuss to anecdotes about her own life, more than just a book about her mother, this comic-biography tells the often sad but always beautiful story of a mother's relationship with her daughter and the daughter's struggle to understand it. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I'd never been much of a comics reader, but this author and her books have made me change my view of the genre. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
Bechdel = excellence. While this book doesn't have the instant appeal of "Fun Home," it's exploration is deeply more brave. There are things she says and shows in here that made me gasp at their naked honesty. It's a bit heavy on the allusion to the work of psychoanalysts, but in the last two chapters, the careful reading pays off beautifully. As much a meditation on language as it is an exploration of therapy. Powerful. HIGHLY recommended. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
"For nothing was simply one thing." ~ Virginia Woolf
For my mother, who knows who she is.
While engaged in some sort of home-improvement project, I inadvertently block my exit from a dank cellar.

From the best-selling author of Fun Home, Time magazine’s No. 1 Book of the Year, a brilliantly told graphic memoir of Alison Bechdel becoming the artist her mother wanted to be.

Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home was a pop culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a second thrilling tale of filial sleuthery, this time about her mother: voracious reader, music lover, passionate amateur actor. Also a woman, unhappily married to a closeted gay man, whose artistic aspirations simmered under the surface of Bechdel's childhood . . . and who stopped touching or kissing her daughter good night, forever, when she was seven. Poignantly, hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for answers concerning the mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered search that leads readers from the fascinating life and work of the iconic twentieth-century psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to one explosively illuminating Dr. Seuss illustration, to Bechdel’s own (serially monogamous) adult love life. And, finally, back to Mother—to a truce, fragile and real-time, that will move and astonish all adult children of gifted mothers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:54 -0400)

Alison Bechdels Fun Home was a pop culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a second thrilling tale of filial sleuthery, this time about her mother: voracious reader, music lover, passionate amateur actor. Also a woman, unhappily married to a closeted gay man, whose artistic aspirations simmered under the surface of Bechdel's childhood . . . and who stopped touching or kissing her daughter good night, forever, when she was seven. Poignantly, hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for answers concerning the mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered search that leads readers from the fascinating life and work of the iconic twentieth-century psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to one explosively illuminating Dr. Seuss illustration, to Bechdels own (serially monogamous) adult love life. And, finally, back to Motherto a truce, fragile and real-time, that will move and astonish all adult children of gifted mothers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible