Brother and Sister by Joanna Trollope

Brother and Sister

by Joanna Trollope

373None28,937 (2.95)8

English (8)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
Good premise, but failed story. The ending was a huge disappointment. I kept waiting for something big to happen, but it never did. ( )
  TraceyThomson | Nov 25, 2012 |
This book was a disappointment to me. All the positive reviews I have read confuse me even more.

I enjoyed the story line and the story on the whole.

It was about two grown adoptive children that had children of their own wanting to find the answers that they were missing. They felt they couldn't be what they wanted to be until they find out where they come from.

They struggle with this new part of their lives and the ones they are close too always struggle. It shows how everyone gets effected by this.

I never connected with the characters. I thought they were all unbalanced. I felt that there wasn't a positive character in the whole book.

I have enjoyed Joanna Trollope books in the past. I can't say that this is one of the better ones. ( )
  callmejacx | Feb 29, 2012 |
This is my first Joanna Trollope book and will definitely not be my last. I enjoyed reading this book about two children adopted from different families into the same family unit. Nathalie is a difficult character to like and one who gets exactly what she deserves. David is the quieter (and younger off the two), bullied by his 'sister' into doing what he doesn't really want to do but with better consequences.

A lovely look into different families lives and the impact huge decisions can have on them. Also a good chance to read about different perspectives on the adoption process. ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Mar 23, 2008 |
As the mother of two adopted children, this was a scary book to read. Though my motivations for adoption are different from the adoptive parents in the story, there is a gut fear that despite all we do and how much we love, there will always be a sense that our children aren't truly ours. The conclusion of this novel ultimately reinforced that the need to know the story is critical, but the care and nurture through the years makes the parent. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 14, 2007 |
"David and Nathalie, adopted and raised by the same parents but born to different mothers, decide, in their thirties, to begin a painful journey to find their birth mothers, affecting their spouses, children, and co-workers." ( )
  sgu2514 | May 9, 2007 |
From where he sat, Steve could see right down the length of the studio.

We all need to know where we come from, where we belong. But for David and Nathalie, this need is more urgent, because they are adopted. Brought up by the same parents, but born to two different mothers, Nathalie and David have grown up as brother and sister, and share a fierce loyalty. Their decision as adults to try to find their birth mothers is no straightforward matter. It affects, acutely and often painfully, their spouses and children, the people they work with, and, most poignantly, the two women who gave them up for adoption all those years ago. Exploring her subject with inimitable imagination and humanity, the celebrated author of Marrying the Mistress and The Rector’s Wife once again works her magic.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible