Brother and Sister by Joanna Trollope

Brother and Sister

by Joanna Trollope

English (10)  Swedish (1)  All languages (11)
This book is about a search. It's about the effect it has on the main characters'spouses and children, and on their parents. I don't know how realistic the emotions are, but it felt very believable to me. I was caught up in everyone's feelings as I read, seeing multiple perspectives, aware that for every positive consequence there were also negative ones.

I didn't get quite such a sense of knowing all the characters myself as I do from (say) Rosamunde Pilcher's novels, nor did I find myself shocked out of preconceived ideas as I do often when reading Libby Purves' work. But I did feel I understood more after reading it. Joanna Trollope dealt fairly with all her people and brought the whole to a satisfactory conclusion. Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good premise, but failed story. The ending was a huge disappointment. I kept waiting for something big to happen, but it never did. ( )
  TraceyThomson | Nov 25, 2012 |
This book was a disappointment to me. All the positive reviews I have read confuse me even more.

I enjoyed the story line and the story on the whole.

It was about two grown adoptive children that had children of their own wanting to find the answers that they were missing. They felt they couldn't be what they wanted to be until they find out where they come from.

They struggle with this new part of their lives and the ones they are close too always struggle. It shows how everyone gets effected by this.

I never connected with the characters. I thought they were all unbalanced. I felt that there wasn't a positive character in the whole book.

I have enjoyed Joanna Trollope books in the past. I can't say that this is one of the better ones. ( )
  callmejacx | Feb 29, 2012 |
This is my first Joanna Trollope book and will definitely not be my last. I enjoyed reading this book about two children adopted from different families into the same family unit. Nathalie is a difficult character to like and one who gets exactly what she deserves. David is the quieter (and younger off the two), bullied by his 'sister' into doing what he doesn't really want to do but with better consequences.

A lovely look into different families lives and the impact huge decisions can have on them. Also a good chance to read about different perspectives on the adoption process. ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Mar 23, 2008 |
From where he sat, Steve could see right down the length of the studio.

We all need to know where we come from, where we belong. But for David and Nathalie, this need is more urgent, because they are adopted. Brought up by the same parents, but born to two different mothers, Nathalie and David have grown up as brother and sister, and share a fierce loyalty. Their decision as adults to try to find their birth mothers is no straightforward matter. It affects, acutely and often painfully, their spouses and children, the people they work with, and, most poignantly, the two women who gave them up for adoption all those years ago. Exploring her subject with inimitable imagination and humanity, the celebrated author of Marrying the Mistress and The Rector’s Wife once again works her magic.

David and Nathalie, adopted and raised by the same parents but born to different mothers, decide, in their thirties, to begin a painful journey to find their birth mothers, affecting their spouses, children, and co-workers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,364,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible