Brother and Sister by Joanna Trollope

Brother and Sister

by Joanna Trollope

English (12)  Swedish (1)  All (13)
I would have rated this 3.5 stars if half stars were an option. Much better than average, but I'm stingy with 4 and 5 star ratings so....... ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |

A novel about grownup siblings who have always known that they were adopted, and decide to find out about their birth parents, upending existing relationships with their adopted family and their spouses. I don't have personal experience of adoption myself, and I wonder whether Trollope really does either; the plot had no surprises and I didn't feel that the characters' reactions to their new self-knowledge rose much above cliche. It's a long time since I read any Joanna Trollope, and my memory is that her books were mostly better than this. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 11, 2016 |
This book is about a search. It's about the effect it has on the main characters'spouses and children, and on their parents. I don't know how realistic the emotions are, but it felt very believable to me. I was caught up in everyone's feelings as I read, seeing multiple perspectives, aware that for every positive consequence there were also negative ones.

I didn't get quite such a sense of knowing all the characters myself as I do from (say) Rosamunde Pilcher's novels, nor did I find myself shocked out of preconceived ideas as I do often when reading Libby Purves' work. But I did feel I understood more after reading it. Joanna Trollope dealt fairly with all her people and brought the whole to a satisfactory conclusion. Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good premise, but failed story. The ending was a huge disappointment. I kept waiting for something big to happen, but it never did. ( )
  TraceyThomson | Nov 25, 2012 |
From where he sat, Steve could see right down the length of the studio.

We all need to know where we come from, where we belong. But for David and Nathalie, this need is more urgent, because they are adopted. Brought up by the same parents, but born to two different mothers, Nathalie and David have grown up as brother and sister, and share a fierce loyalty. Their decision as adults to try to find their birth mothers is no straightforward matter. It affects, acutely and often painfully, their spouses and children, the people they work with, and, most poignantly, the two women who gave them up for adoption all those years ago. Exploring her subject with inimitable imagination and humanity, the celebrated author of Marrying the Mistress and The Rector’s Wife once again works her magic.

David and Nathalie, adopted and raised by the same parents but born to different mothers, decide, in their thirties, to begin a painful journey to find their birth mothers, affecting their spouses, children, and co-workers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,430,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible