Code Name Verity (Thorndike Press Large…

Code Name Verity (Thorndike Press Large Print Literacy Bridge Series) by…

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.
Member:KathyPedigo
Title:Code Name Verity (Thorndike Press Large Print Literacy Bridge Series) by Wein, Elizabeth (2013) Hardcover
Authors:
Info:Thorndike Press

Work Information

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Recently added bysmanet, JFB87, Arina8888, VChit, private library, 10Ross
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Tamar by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    In The Blood Of The Greeks by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (350)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (352)
Oh, this book. Broke my heart, made me cry, but I LOVED it. Absolutely loved it. Brilliantly written, fascinating, and the characters were just so... alive. ( )
  maryellencg | Jan 8, 2022 |
I am going to bawl for the rest of my life. Fuck this book, fuck it so hard. I'm covered in snot and tears and I'm so MAD.

banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
I can see why everyone is gushing about this book. It's just terrific, is why. It tells a story I haven't often heard, about young women doing dangerous work during World War 2. The characters are so vivid. I'm not a historical fiction reader by any means, so I was prepared to feel meh about this but it was incredible. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Oh, shoot.

I really, really wanted to like this book. Everyone else does. But the strong beginning peters out into the second half, and by 3/4 of the way through I was simply skimming, which I never do for fiction. Good premise, but the book is overlong. ( )
  FinallyJones | Nov 17, 2021 |
YA fiction, but engaging story ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wein, Elizabethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)
Fly the plane, Maddie.

During World War II, a female civilian pilot and a female espionage agent form an unbreakable bond of friendship even as they find their lives threatened in Occupied France.
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth.
(octopedingenue)

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,236,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible