InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook by…

InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook (1997)

by Martha Hopkins

212None54,928 (3.97)5
Recently added bykitber, private library, Scottycooks, jnedelka, shirsh-dickinson, jmsevits, yureeka9, russnorman

I really enjoy this cookbook for many reasons. The photographs are beautiful and inspiring and the anecdotes are great. The recipes are mainly good, I haven't come across anything that was super amazing, but I like that the focus is on how you cook it and the mood, not just the food. To me how you cook a meal influences how it will be eaten and digested, and this brought that across. ( )
  indiefishsteak | Mar 31, 2013 |
A sexy coffee-table-type cookbook, full of clean artful design and glisteningly delicious food and people. ( )
  Rubygarnet | Mar 14, 2012 |
Not only does this book have some really delectable recipes, it has recipes that work. I don't mean that you can actually make them... that is a given... I mean that they are aphrodisiac.

My girlfriend asked me out on our first date after I cooked the artichoke bruschetta, and prior to that, I had company in my bedroom the night I fed a girl the lavender basil grilled scallops.

It could be my charming personality, but I think that it was the food.
2 vote grady.cameron | Sep 19, 2007 |
This cookbook is separated by the main ingredient: strawberries, salmon, sparragus, etc.

The recipes are interesting and unusual.
So far, I have made:
-Strawberry Pasta: 3.5 stars.

I'll add more as we make more courses. ( )
  matos.ca.07 | May 29, 2007 |
I had a request for a "cookbook review." It is a pleasure to comply with the book "InterCourses." The book is a visual feast - anyone not left gaping after looking at the picture illustrating "Avocado" is simply no longer living. And "Rosemary" - would I ever have the nerve to dress up in nothing but rosemary? Not if I looked like the model in this book. And do you really want to miss the model wearing nothing but a hula skirt made out of asparagus? The write-ups accompanying the recipes are delightful. An example: "As the skewer penetrated the goodies, Laurel became more involved with cooking than ever before. She couldn't stand it as I slowly, ritually skewered the plump scallops next to the slippery-slick hearts of the artichoke." And after all this, what about the recipes? French Toast Baked in Honey-Pecan Sauce ("puffed clouds of ecstacy"), Herbed Risotto (with heavy cream and parmesan cheese) ("Try this recipe with some wine, bread, and candlelight. It worked for us."), Thai Chicken with Peanut Sauce ("fiery taste, entertaining to roll") - it's all good. It's all fattening. But presumably, it all inspires post-prandial exercise. (JAF)
1 vote nbmars | Apr 14, 2007 |
Aphrodisiac
The world itself almost seems magical. On first glance, it conjures up images of Spanish fly, powdered Rhino horn, and other strange, exotic ingredients mean to wield power over unsuspecting souls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0965327507, Hardcover)

Forget Spanish fly or powdered rhino horn; if you want to get your lover in the mood, look no farther than your local supermarket. Strawberries, chocolate, asparagus--even coffee--have long been considered stimulants for the romantic appetite. For centuries, folk wisdom held that foods either rare or resembling a sexual organ had tremendous power over the libido. Modern science has since debunked that theory, but there's no denying that a meal lovingly prepared and properly presented with just the right ambience can precipitate the most passionate encounters. In Intercourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook, Martha Hopkins and Randall Lockridge appeal to all the senses as they offer up 85 heart-melting, temperature-raising dishes, along with an array of sensuous photographs that will make you look at food in a whole new light.

The book is divided into 17 sections, each one devoted to a particular food with aphrodisiac qualities, from chocolate and chilies to black beans and oysters. Following these are recipes for massage oils, seasonal dishes, and meals to appeal to every astrological sign and every stage of a relationship, from first date to golden anniversary. There's even a list of resources on subjects ranging from further reading on aphrodisiacs to locating aromatherapy candles. Just reading Intercourses is a sensual experience--imagine what eating from it will be!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:23 -0400)

Suggests recipes featuring ingredients considered aphrodisiacs, including chocolate, asparagus, chiles, oysters, strawberries, honey, rosemary, pine nuts, avocados, and figs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,403,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible