Life at These Speeds: A Novel by Jeremy…

Life at These Speeds: A Novel

by Jeremy Jackson

Popular, talented Kevin Schuler, devastated when his friends and teammates are killed in a bus accident, starts high school with a cloud of grief hanging over his head, and only through running does he find a measure of peace.
    Colony Girl by Thomas Rayfiel (achedglin)
    achedglin: Both are masterfully heart-breaking works about adolescence in the Midwest.

I'm giving this four stars for now, but I have an idea my opinion of it will creep up over time. I can't point to any obvious elements that make it so wonderful, or anything that particularly detracts. At its heart, it's a coming-of-age story (but it's about a boy, so it's billed as Bildungsroman) of a high-school boy dealing with grief after his entire track team is killed in a car accident. He deals by not dealing, really, losing himself to physicality (running), allowing speed to block out everything else. Kevin is not a reliable narrator; he doesn't remember much before the accident, and flashes only come to him in fits and starts, but not enough to piece together. He won't let anyone into his life, though even he doesn't seem to understand why. He's confused, frustrated, and generally out of sorts, and the writing captures his voice very well.

I wouldn't recommend it to everybody; it is very sports-heavy (track/running), and I'd imagine that could turn people off. But it did make me sort of wish that my knees could still handle running, and if that's not a sign of a good sports novel, I don't know what is. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
I'm not usually one for sports fiction, and this novel is by no means perfect. But it was one of those reading experiences where I wished I could stop time in the last few pages, it was just that good. ( )
  catalogthis | Apr 27, 2011 |
Main character just happens to not ride the school bus home from a track meet. Bus crashes and all perish. Story chronicles the years after the crash and its affect on the surviving team member. ( )
  mestahler | Mar 31, 2009 |
At last! a sports book for the intelligent boy. This was a great read about a young man who survives a tragic accident because he rode home with his parents and didn't ride the team van. His method of coping is to forget about the incident. The characters in his new school were somewhat stereotyped, but the story was good. ( )
  MrsHillReads | Jul 3, 2008 |
One of the best of the books I've read for PPYA--gut-wrenching characterization of a boy whose world turned upside down when a team bus crashed. Funny, surreal, ferociously sad...

Why isn't this book better known? ( )
  aperrigo | Oct 31, 2007 |
for my parents

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,794,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible