Secrets of the Dead

by Tom Harper

463427,205 (3)None
Secrets of the Dead is a thriller and a a time slip novel. There are two stories running in tandem, sometimes reflecting each other.

I’ve listened to a couple of podcast books in the past, but I don’t think I’ve ever listened to an audio book. To be honest, it was a pleasant experience.

Secrets of the Dead is NOT the type of book, by that I mean paperback or ebook, that I would normally read. It’s too big worded for me, and there are too many foreign words. I’d stumble over the pages and quickly loose interest. However, listening to someone read the book was totally different. The narrator, Francis Greenslade, was excellent. He is easy to listen to and he made those difficult words blend in to the story and brought a complicated plot to life. I was impressed ... and I learned the pronunciation of numerous words from him!

The book itself is actually two stories running parallel to each other -- one historical and one present day. I felt the historical content was well researched and totally convincing. I ‘believed’ in the characters and the events. The only drawback was the flashbacks. After a while I found them a little annoying (even if the content of the flashbacks did move the story forward). The present day storyline was also convincing, although it took me longer to settle into this side of the book. It wasn’t the characters that troubled me (those I accepted straight away), it was the events taking place. Some things seemed too convenient. Anyway, I remember thinking I’d hate to get caught up in anything similar to what was happening to Abby Cormac. I’d be terrified. Both stories were a type of murder mystery and had certain factors that tied them together.

Overall, I’d be more than willing to ‘read’ another audio book. It’s the perfect way of discovering new authors and new genres. I’m glad I gave Secrets of the Dead a chance, and while I know I would never read an actual printed book by the author, I certainly would listen to another audio book written by him. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Mar 13, 2019 |
Took a long time to get into this book, but after that it was quite exciting. I enjoyed the two parallel stories - one set in the present and one in the time of Emperor Constantine. Personally, I enjoyed the historical story more but overall quite an entertaining read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
This was two separate stories connected but separated by nearly 1600 years. I think there was some form of explanation of how the stories were connected in the last chapter. I apparently was not listening well enough, and it was not interesting enough to go back to listen again. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,602,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible