The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (2012)

by Charles Duhigg

Award-winning business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed. With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.… (more)
    Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days by Sir John Hargrave (nefitty)
    Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck (stephenkoplin)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)
    Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)

Incredibly enlightening book. A highly recommended read if you want to understand yourself (and others) better. ( )
  zeh | Jun 3, 2023 |
Simple, popular, “arm chair” psychology says that life is full of “rational” choices that guide our lives. However, reasoning from human experience and psychological research, we’ve learned that habits guide most of our lives and prevent us from “choice fatigue.” How are we then to make use of habitual practices? In this book, Charles Duhigg analyzes how this impacts our business lives, our personal lives, and our society. He seeks to identify specific ways that people can become more effective.

People with even a rudimentary understanding of marketing can quickly grasp many of the business insights in this book. Advertisers clearly try to get us hooked on numerous products, and the research presented in this section was hardly earth-shattering to me. Most of it can be observed by watching an hour of television or walking through an American mall. Likewise, the section on personal habits taught self-awareness, but those who are already fairly self-aware will not benefit much from explanations of cues triggering behaviors.

Despite these repetitious shortcomings, I found the section on implementing social change to be more enlightening. Duhigg examines two social examples – the 1960s Civil Rights movement and Rick Warren’s megachurch – in light of contemporary research. He shows why and how they produced lasting social change where others did not. Reading the newspaper each day, I find it easy to become jaded that true social improvements will never occur. Duhigg reminded me that they can, provided that the right circumstances exist and the right opportunities are taken. Importantly, he spells out what research identifies as what these factors are.

This book drives home the postmodern point that our practices are what make us who we are, not our “rational” minds. Our minds inform our practices and craft our habits, yes. But each day, we follow mental scripts more than make decisions. This understanding has been supported by neuroscience findings throughout the last few decades, and Duhigg has brought them to public light. That is the real contribution of this book and why it reached bestseller status. As a self-help book, it speaks to a general audience, particularly people who want to change some aspect of their life. (And frankly, who doesn’t?) Like many self-help books, its recommendations can be repetitive, but the underlying research is new and interesting. ( )
  scottjpearson | Mar 4, 2023 |
Find a simple and obvious cue
Clearly define the rewards

Consumers need some kind of signal that a product or service is working .

Champions don’t do extraordinary things, they do ordinary things, but without thinking.

The best way to strengthen willpower and discipline is to make it a habit.

Willpower isn’t a skill; it’s a muscle

Starbucks method :
"This workbook is for you to imagine unpleasant situations, and write out a plan for responding," the manager said. "One of the systems we use is called the LATTE method. We Listen to the customer, Acknowledge their complaint, Take action by solving the problem,
Thank them, and then Explain why the problem occurred.

Routines reduce uncertainty

that the will to believe is the most important ingredient in creating belief in change. And that one of the most important methods for creating that belief was habits.

Cue - Routine - Reward

Location
Time
Emotional state
Other people
Immediately preceding action or event ( )
  kvan1993 | Feb 2, 2023 |
Some good stuff, but a mishmash. ( )
  steve02476 | Jan 3, 2023 |
Cue-routine-reward
Cues: time, people, place, emotion, something you just did ( )
  Castinet | Dec 11, 2022 |

Charles Duhiggprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thảo,Lêsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Charles Duhigg's book The Power of Habit was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,820,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible