The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (2012)

by Charles Duhigg

5,5832081,490 (3.88)84
Award-winning business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed. With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.… (more)
    Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days by Sir John Hargrave (nefitty)
    Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck (stephenkoplin)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)
    Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)

I enjoyed the stories; always love a freakonomics style book. I liked the writing too, keeping conclusions relatable while not getting lost in details. ( )
  ds_db | Apr 25, 2022 |
I thought this was a useful read - it tells what begins a habit and why, then goes on to tell ways to alter them for the better. He gives good example stories although I think he could have limited them a little more.

I must say I was only interested in the first section about personal habits and wasn't particularly interested in the other 2 sections on corporations and organizations, so I stopped reading after I got a little bit into the second section. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
Definitely some good passages, somewhat dated. The basic idea is that habits can be used for successful marketing with a final chapter on how some habits are negative such as gambling.

Bookjoy144 | Mar 2, 2022 |

This book is stronger than the Sith! During this vacation, I had the choice to read this book or about Darth Plagueis (the guy who was the master of the more famous Emperor). The Power of the Habit was the right choice.

I enjoyed the chapters on Target and Saddleback church. I was down with the Tony Dungy story because I actually like (American) football. Self help books like these earn higher rating from me if they make my brain explode with ideas, or at least bubble up, and this book generated a few of these moments. ( )
  wellington299 | Feb 19, 2022 |
Made me rethink the small things we do throughout the day and how they shape our future. By being conscious of the motivations behind our actions, however small, we can unlock the power of molding the future we desire. ( )
  MichaelDuncan428 | Feb 18, 2022 |

Charles Duhiggprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thảo,Lêsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Charles Duhigg's book The Power of Habit was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,351,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible