The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in…

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (original 2012; edition 2014)

by Charles Duhigg (Author)

Member:shakazul
Title:The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Authors:Charles Duhigg (Author)
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2014), 371 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***
Tags:self-development, behavioral science

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (2012)

Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days by John Hargrave (nefitty)
    Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck (stephenkoplin)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)
    Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)

English (152)  Spanish (2)  All (154)
This is one of the very few books I think is worth buying and keeping. It lays out in simple readable terms what constitutes a habit. Why habits are important. How to create good ones and how to change bad ones. Duhigg explains what the habit loop is, Craving, Cue, Routine , and Reward, and why knowledge of these four stages are important. Unless all four are there its next to impossible to get real and lasting change. Duhigg uses the the biographies of famous and little known people to illustrate his points. The book covers habits on a personal level, organizational or corporate level, and societial level. The appendix of this book lays out an outline of an approach that some can use to observe, evaluate and possibly change their annoying habits. Duhigg emphasizes that this is not an offer of a magic bullet, or miracle formula. Change takes effort. This book is a good road map to follow to start creating change in your life. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Sep 22, 2017 |
O Poder do Hábito is an excellent week-written book. This book is extremely importance for people nowadays. It's possible understain how the certain habits helps people and companies. The informations this book is basead in many interviews and in articles and science studies. I recommend this well-written book for all of people and companies. ( )
  mateusascovolo | Aug 30, 2017 |
While not a “business” book in the traditional sense, Duhigg expertly and easily captures the reasons behind why humans do what they do...on an individual and corporate level.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 24, 2017 |
I loved this book, because it answers the question why do we repeatedly do things that we haven't consciously decided to do. Performing actions that I haven't decided to do but still do, is unsettling for me. Earlier in my life, I would deny that such thing exists. Today, I'd rather learn something about it. ( )
  automatthias | Jun 19, 2017 |
One excellent chapter/story (the turnaround of Aloa) buried in others of varying quality. Overall, a collection of vignettes and ideas, looking for a theme that really ties it together. 'Habit' doesn't. ( )
  Parthurbook | Jun 9, 2017 |
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

A young woman walks into a laboratory.  Over the past two years, she has transformed almost every aspect of her life.  She has quit smoking, run a marathon, and been promoted at work.  The patterns inside her brain, neurologists discover, have fundamentally changed.

Marketeers at Proctor & Gamble study videos of people making their beds.  The are desperately trying to figure out how to sell a new product called Febreze, which is on track to be one of the biggest flops in company history,  Suddenly, one of them detects a nearly imperceptible pattern -- and with a slight shift in advertising, Febreze goes on to earn a billion dollars a year.

An untested CEO takes over one of the largest companies in America.  His first order of business is attacking a single pattern among his employees -- how they approach worker safety -- and soon the firm, Alcoa, becomes the top performer in the Dow Jones.

What do all these people have in common?   They achieved success by focussing on the patterns that shape every aspect of our lives.

They succeeded in transforming habits.

In The Power of Habit, award-winning New York Times business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changes.   With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.

Along the way we learn why some people and companies struggle to change, despite years of trying, while others seem to remake themselves overnight.  We visit laboratories where neuroscientists explore how habits work and where, exactly, they reside in our brains.  We discover how the right habits were crucial to the success of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, and civil-rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr.   We go inside Proctor & Gamble, Target superstores, Rick Warren's Saddleback Church, NFL locker rooms, and the nation's largest hospitals to see how implementing so-called keystone habits can earn billions and mean the difference between failure and success, life and death.

At its core, The Power of Habit contains an exhilarating argument: The key to exercising regularly, losing weight, raising exceptional children, becoming more productive, building revolutionary companies and social movements, and achieving success is understanding how habits work.

Habits aren't destiny.  As Charles Duhigg shows, by harnessing this new science, we can transform our business, our communities, and our lives.  [from the jacket]

Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Charles Duhigg's book The Power of Habit was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,968,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible