Enchanted

by Alethea Kontis

Series: Woodcutter Sisters (1), Books of Arilland (1)

When Sunday Woodcutter, the youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week, kisses an enchanted frog, he transforms back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland--a man Sunday's family despises.

I stayed up way past my bedtime finishing this. It was -- unexpectedly -- really well done. The pretty white girl in a pretty dress on the cover threw me, and I was expecting something very different. Thank you to that random person on Litsy who posted about this series with the note to ignore the covers.

This is a really fun fairy-tale inspired story. There are so many different stories that got referenced in some way in this book, and I loved it all. The plot was also delightful - it wasn't a simple straightforward plot, and had some twists and a greater scope that I really enjoyed.

I loved meeting the Woodcutters and look forward to more of their adventures. ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 7, 2020 |
This is a very interesting book. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but the ideas were very intriguing and the blend of fairy tales was superb. The only thing I have a gripe over is Sunday's character. I really never got much of a feel for her, though I can't say why. Just that as a reader I felt as if I never really got to know Sunday, I just saw her. ( )
  Fireformed | Aug 7, 2020 |
This book renewed my love for fairytales. I also enjoyed how Sunday's sibling have backstories that are references to other fairytales (Princess and the Pea, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel (blink and ya miss it), etc). The family relationship between Sunday and Trix is so heartwarming because I love when siblings get along in stories/media. Also, the austere mother, Seven Woodcutter, was easily one of the most interesting characters.

The story was fluffy and cute in the beginning. I enjoyed the friendship among Rumbold, Erik, and Velius. They were true friends and never missed a moment to roast him. Apparently, Rumbold had a blind spot or blackout of a year where he started wilding and these guys still stuck by him no matter what atrocities he had probably done Yes, instalove is most definitely present, but this is a fairytale so it's expected. I hated when the focus ultimately shifted from Sunday and her lover.

Toward the middle (after the transformation and godmothers are revealed), the story jumped the shark for fairytale standards. There were just too many plot points. It got to be too much and too bloody with the magic, estranged sisters, Rumbold's crusty daddy, the King, and etc.

Best characters: Velius, Seven Woodcutter, Trix

2.5 ( )
  DestDest | Jul 29, 2020 |
I listened to the audio book and completely understand why this was nominated for an award. The story is really good, though there's a bit of Chekov's "unfired pistol" near the end, when character abilities established earlier in the novel that seemed likely to be useful in resolving the climax are kind of overlooked. But, just because the story didn't unfold the way it would have unfolded if I'd had the character's powers doesn't mean the ending is unsatisfying. In some ways, while the central character has a pretty godlike superpower, the book is constructed so that her real superpower is her family, all of whom are interesting characters with amazing abilities of their own. The fact that this is a series with room to explore all the other family members is quite welcome.

Any quibbles I have with the plot are insignificant when compared to how much I loved the reading on this audio book. If I've ever heard a more perfect match between a narrator and a story, I can't think of it. If I could give six stars, I would! ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |
Sunday is the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter - all named after days of the week. Her greatest joy comes in writing stories; however, Sunday's stories tend to come true so she only writes about things that have already happened. One day while writing, she meets an enchanted frog who listens to her stories and the two become friends. Each day as Sunday leaves him, she kisses him. One night, when she kisses him, unbeknownst to Sunday, he turns back to into the prince - the exact prince that her family hates.

This story was chock full of sweet, sugary goodness. It was all romance and love. There was never any doubt that the prince loved Sunday and that Sunday loved him. My favorite part of the story was how the author threw nearly every fairy tale in the canon into the book. She also had lots of different, subtle differences in the fairy tales to make them fit her story. It was a very creative and sweet story. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |

Alethea Kontisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.
For my father, who first read the fairy tales to me, for my mother, who told me to write a new one, and for my little sister, who was--and always will be--ungrateful.  May we all be doomed to a happy life.
My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life.
"There are four things that make a man fight as you just did," the duke explained to Rumbold.  "Love, despair, anger, or insanity."
Erik counted them off on his fingers.  "Everything to lose, nothing to lose, someone's taken it, or you've lost it."

Alethea Kontis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,456,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible