Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

by Christopher Moore

Baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec vow to discover the truth behind the untimely death of their friend Vincent van Gogh, which leads them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late-nineteenth-century Paris.

English (113)  German (1)  All languages (114)
[b:Sacre Bleu|7743117|Sacre Bleu|Christopher Moore|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1326422106s/7743117.jpg|17836362] by [a:Christopher Moore|16218|Christopher Moore|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1200095788p2/16218.jpg] is a wonderful comedy/mystery set in the artist's community of late 1800's Paris. Lucien Lessard and Henri Toulouse-Lautrec work to uncover the mysterious Colorman, a twisted little man who is inexplicably proud of a certain shade of blue he sells, and of his ability to frighten housekeepers with his penis. This is an entertaining book containing equal amounts of humor and mystery mixed together with a blend of some wonderful personalities. The dialog is often quite funny, and the mystery is blended with hints of a supernatural danger. All together this makes for a very fun tour of world of Paris' artists. ( )
  lpg3d | Nov 12, 2022 |
Very good. Not what I'm used to reading from Christopher Moore, but clearly he researched a lot and enjoyed the setting and characters. Just enough lightness to liven up the 1890's Paris art scene. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
Sacre Bleu is an interesting book, meticulously researched, and difficult to put down. It can seem daunting at first, the hardcover version at least, but it was a relatively quick read. It is not, however, a humor novel as the title would lead you to believe. There are funny bits, but way too many people die of syphilis for it to be a truly funny book. All in all, it was a great read. ( )
  astronomist | Oct 3, 2021 |
Give Moore top marks for creativity as he weaves a story around a muse who inspires the Impressionsists, with a young baker-painter and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec as the main characters in a farcical romp. My favorite lines are an exchange between these two as they enter the Catacombs in Paris: T-L "it follows the streets as if on the surface" Lucien "Yes, but with fewer cafes, more corpses and it's dark, of course" T-L "Oh well then, we'll just pretend we're visiting London" :-) ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Blue is my favourite colour, especially the ultramarine blue that is the basis for the magic elements in this novel, so it's no wonder that I absolutely adored this book. I've used the colour-basis technique for some of my own writing, and I find it quite interesting that a proper author did the same thing, and did it so well. As much as basing all writing on these types of techniques is a bad thing, sometimes a single starting point like a colour can be the start of a really intriguing novel, such as this.

Christopher Moore proved with Lamb that he had a flare for writing semi-historical books with a humourous flare, and Sacre Bleu follows this same style by exploring the lives of the Impressionist painters in France through the colour blue. Blue is a dominant colour in the art of the Impressionists, and has always been an intriguing colour in the general art world because of it's physical make-up and it's history, so it seems that Moore picked a perfect topic to write on. Even though the majority of this work is fictional, Moore did do quite a bit of research into the characters of the painters who became his protagonists so the personalities really shone through. While we can never really be sure how a real live person from history would act, that's part of the fun of this type of project. Getting into a person's head is something that authors have to learn to do wiith their own characters, and using the same technique for historical characters who already have some reputable sources of personality traits must be like doing an extreme version of Mad Libs. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I always feel like a traveler, going somewhere, toward some destination. If I sense that this destination doesn't in fact exist, that seems to me quite reasonable and very likely true. -Vincent van Gogh, July 22, 1988

Well, I have risked my life for my work, and it has cost me half my reason-- -Vincent van Gogh, July 23, 1890
This is a story about the color blue.

In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. Or did he? Why would an artist at the height of his creative powers attempt to take his own life . . . and then walk a mile to a doctor's house for help? Who was the crooked little "color man" Vincent had claimed was stalking him across France? And why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue?

These are just a few of the questions confronting Vincent's friends—baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec—who vow to discover the truth about van Gogh's untimely death. Their quest will lead them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late nineteenth-century Paris.

Oh lÀ lÀ, quelle surprise, and zut alors! A delectable confection of intrigue, passion, and art history—with cancan girls, baguettes, and fine French cognac thrown in for good measure—SacrÉ Bleu is another masterpiece of wit and wonder from the one, the only, Christopher Moore.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,066,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible