Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher…

Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art (edition 2012)

by Christopher Moore

1,091907,626 (3.73)83
Member:yrchmonger
Title:Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:William Morrow (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, humor, satire, historical fiction, art

Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore

English (89)  German (1)  All languages (90)
This was quite possibly the most delightful book I've ever read (or listened to ;) Christopher Moore is a master of irony, weaving historical fact into an adventure I hated to end. Well written, skillfully intertwined with facts and fables and the mystical - all in one really good book! Highly recommend to anyone who is ready to end a book smiling, yet sad to have it end. ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
Very witty book about the muse that inspired the master painters. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Christopher Moore's imagination is beyond compare. This book is a deviation from his earlier books of absurd humor and finds a new level of entertainment amongst carefully researched history. Editing and weaving a tale, that is intrinsically still Moore, amongst the great artists in Montmartre. Wonderful. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
What a great idea for a story. What a chore to read. I gave up on page 265 (!). It just wasn't worth any more of my time. I don't really know why this didn't work for me, but it just seemed to drag on despite the interesting characters and snappy prose. Stephen King could have really done something with this, but Moore just isn't up to the task. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Well, I enjoyed this a lot. The only other Christopher Moore book I've ever "read" was Fluke and like this one I listened to it on CD. (In fact I chose Fluke because it was read by Bill Irwin.) Apparently this isn't "typical" of Moore's work based on other reviews I see here at Goodreads, but to me it was a lot better than Fluke, which I liked but didn't love. I've had a lot of trouble with novels recently that have required me to suspend disbelief, but I had no problem with this one. I also now want to go out and read everything I can about the artists touched on in this book and go to New York to see some of their paintings again :-) ( )
1 vote CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I always feel like a traveler, going somewhere, toward some destination. If I sense that this destination doesn't in fact exist, that seems to me quite reasonable and very likely true. -Vincent van Gogh, July 22, 1988

Well, I have risked my life for my work, and it has cost me half my reason-- -Vincent van Gogh, July 23, 1890
This is a story about the color blue.

In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. Or did he? Why would an artist at the height of his creative powers attempt to take his own life . . . and then walk a mile to a doctor's house for help? Who was the crooked little "color man" Vincent had claimed was stalking him across France? And why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue?

These are just a few of the questions confronting Vincent's friends—baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec—who vow to discover the truth about van Gogh's untimely death. Their quest will lead them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late nineteenth-century Paris.

Oh lÀ lÀ, quelle surprise, and zut alors! A delectable confection of intrigue, passion, and art history—with cancan girls, baguettes, and fine French cognac thrown in for good measure—SacrÉ Bleu is another masterpiece of wit and wonder from the one, the only, Christopher Moore.

Baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec vow to discover the truth behind the untimely death of their friend Vincent van Gogh, which leads them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late-nineteenth-century Paris.… (more)

356 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible