Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book…

Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne, Gene Mollica (Cover artist)

Title:Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four)
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Other authors:Gene Mollica (Cover artist)
Info:Del Rey (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:literature, fantasy, urban fantasy, paperback, A Del Rey Mass Market Originial, 2012

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

Recently added byevlon, private library, kara-karina, gnoddep, Cutlass, skorpol, PdRLibrary

Egalley thanks to Random House Publishing Group
You have to admire the sheer amount of author's talent! Kevin Hearne pulls it off brilliantly every bloody time!

First of all I didn't know what to expect after the spectacular showdown in last book. Atticus went into hiding if you remember? Well, it didn't quite go as planned.

He made a deal with Coyote, Navaje trickster God, who impersonated the druid to make him look like he died. In turn Atticus would help the latter to create a gold mine on the land of his people from which they will draw money to build a source of alternative renewable energy in Arizona desert. Sounds like a fair deal?

Not really, if you remember that a deal with a trickster God will always mean that you will be somehow... you know... tricked? Instead of swiftly creating a gold mine, Atticus is drawn into a territorial conflict with two extremely dangerous and powerful skinwalkers, who are not only pissed off by Navaje invading their hunting ground, but spelled by a Norse Goddess, Hel, (a charming lady she is not) not to stop until they devour Atticus's flesh as a punishment for not joining Loki's army of supporters of Ragnarok.

No, really, I'm not kidding. Poor Atticus can't stop gaining enemies no matter where he goes.

Oberon is ever so charming and funny, Granuialle is continuing her studies as Atticus's apprentice, but there is so much tension and brutal savagery in frequent conflicts in Tricked, that these brief moments of calm feel like a breath of fresh air.

The book is pretty straightforward and mostly happens in one small town in Arizona, but it's so full of high-octane action, that you will keep feverishly turning pages until the very end. There is also a nasty surprise closer to the end, which forces you to reevaluate your opinion about one of the main characters.

What I also respect and like very much about Kevin Hearne is that each book manages to tell us about mythology, beliefs and traditions of different cultures (in this case, Navajo), and that, my dear readers, is priceless. Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike tricksters? They are nothing but bullies. While I understand the need for trickster characters in folklore and mythology, that doesn't make them any more likeable. And Coyote just makes me grumble in frustration. No matter how hard Atticus works to get an iron clad deal before working with Coyote, there's always a loophole. Always. Tricked has as its main mythology, that of the Navajo.

Atticus is up against something he knows nothing about and has to figure out how to use his knowledge to conquer the skinwalkers and fulfill his part of the bargain with Coyote. Still fun, and very interesting to see the Iron Druid almost completely out of his element. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 6, 2015 |
His writing style reminds me of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. His humorous approach to life as a Druid is priceless. My favorite character would have to be Oberon. His wit makes me smile and giggle. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  earthwindwalker | Jan 11, 2015 |
Okay, so I like Atticus. And I really enjoy Oberon, you know, the dog. But a few characters does not a book make. I want to like these books so bad- the male protagonist isn't something I read very often, I enjoy the variety, and a druid in the southwest? How different can you get?

Here's the problem with reading other people's reviews after you read a book. They point out things that you didn't really notice before, and then, when you think about it, or go on to read more in the series, you notice it more and more, and it starts to drive you nuts. In this case, I'm referring to the treatment of women characters in these novels. Gah! It is surprising how one-dimensional the women characters are. I really disliked the development of the relationship between Granuaile and Atticus. He finds a person to teach, who wants to become a druid, and all he can think about is how he wants her?! For real?! Too much.

The other thing that really wore on me were the incredible info dumps. I like it when authors use alternate mythologies, ones which may need some explanation, but the extent of the explanation of some of the concepts was excessive, and I sometimes wanted to skip entire pages of text.

Complaints aside, I'm going to continue to read the series. The things that are annoying aren't so annoying I can't get past them to enjoy the witty dialogue and various characters. And it definitely is fun to step away from urban fantasy driven by shape shifters and vampires, too. :) ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Another chorus of the same old tune. Since he helped kill Thor, Atticus has to disappear - has to appear to be dead, to a great many gods. In order to achieve this aim, he makes a deal with Coyote - which turns around and bites him. Coyote has some extra plans for the Druid, and although he wriggles around a lot he's still solidly hooked. Old and new enemies, and a preview of how his last set of decisions is going to work out badly, for him and for several worlds... Tricked ends more happily and securely than most of the stories, and leads in to several years of peace, but there's still a lot of looming threat waiting. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 16, 2014 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan O'Bryan,
who bravely stands in front of my word vomit
and tells me to clean it up.
He is an outstanding alpha reader
and the finest of friends.
This is not a trick.
The best trick I ever pulled off was watching myself die.

Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shape-shifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.

Druid Atticus O'Sullivan has battled vengeful Norse thunder gods before, and with a little help from a Navajo trickster god Coyote,he dupes them into thinking they chopped him up in the Arizona dessert. The Navajo Coyote is not above his own mischief and Atticus is battling for survival from an unlikely source.… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible