Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book…

Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne, Gene Mollica (Cover artist)

Title:Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four)
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Other authors:Gene Mollica (Cover artist)
Info:Del Rey (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:literature, fantasy, urban fantasy, paperback, A Del Rey Mass Market Originial, 2012

Tricked by Kevin Hearne (Author)

Great story! Atticus (Riley) is finally realizing what his participation in Thor's death has brought to his current and future events. A thrilling ride with Atticus very close to meeting his end more than once. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
This series is great fun, but I probably liked this one the least. I think.

While I generally love most stories that interweave Native American myths into the plot, I don't like the ones that rely on the protagonist being manipulated into corners by others. Which means Coyote is probably never going to be my favourite NA god (although I do like the Coyote in Briggs' Mercy Thompson series). I also didn't enjoy reading about the betrayal of Atticus by someone he considered if not a friend, certainly an ally.

I'd give a lot for Granuaile to stop calling Atticus sensei; I can't take her, as a character, nor her respect for Atticus seriously because of that stupid moniker.

What I did love where the scenes involving the Blessing Way and the very small moments when they discussed the Witchery Way and the Four Worlds of the Navajo Nation.

It was an entertaining read, with a conclusion that could have served as the end of the series. It isn't but the next book happens 12 years later, which makes this a good place to pause in the series and take a break.

N.B. I listened to this on audio and the narrator Christopher Ragland does a great job with Atticus and Granuaile; even Coyote's voice is acceptable although I could find fault with his slow good ol' boy interpretation. But I hate his Oberon. I cringe every single time I hear that slurry voice he uses for the majestic wolfhound; he makes Oberon sound like he has partial facial paralysis. But being outside the US, I'm stuck with Ragland's narration or none at all. It could have been worse though; in Hammered I had to listen to him make Leif the vampire sound like a Clint Eastwood with laryngitis. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 11, 2016 |
I think this is a great continuation of this series! I like that the romance, such as it is, is low key and doesn't really go anywhere. There is nothing worse than a forced romance in novels. This story involves skinwalkers and the Native American gods mostly with some short side stories about vampires and Norse gods.

Overall I really liked it. Maybe it's because I read all these books one after the other, but this book had A LOT of infodumping in it. There were many, MANY paragraphs explaining various gods and other topics that I just sort of glazed over. I appreciate when authors do their homework, but sometimes that can get tedious to read. Like I said, its possible this was due to my reading of the series one right after another so your mileage may vary. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I definitely have a thing for Tricksters, no matter the originating mythology; which is probably why this is my favorite installment of the Iron Druid so far. A great many gods want Atticus dead. The only way he can safely train his apprentice is to let them have what they want – with a little help from Coyote.

Atticus makes a deal with Coyote to move a gold mine under the Diné reservation in exchange for help in faking his death. But a deal with a Trickster is always more than it seems, as the Morrigan warns him. When Atticus arrives at the reservation, he discovers a cranky elemental who doesn’t want to help, a pair of dangerous Skinwalkers with magic wholly out of Atticus’ experience and a wily Coyote who’s playing Atticus like a fiddle. Oh, an Leif shows up to bring even more trouble to the Druid’s doorstep.

I loved Tricked because in addition to some excellent action sequences, it also had a fabulous game of wits between Atticus and Coyote. The dialog between them was always multi-layered and fun. Tricked was so engaging that I read it straight in only two days. Highly recommended! ( )
  jshillingford | Jun 14, 2016 |
Fun read, if not always well written. ( )
  libgirl69 | May 11, 2016 |

Hearne, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan O'Bryan,
who bravely stands in front of my word vomit
and tells me to clean it up.
He is an outstanding alpha reader
and the finest of friends.
This is not a trick.
The best trick I ever pulled off was watching myself die.

Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shape-shifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.

Druid Atticus O'Sullivan has battled vengeful Norse thunder gods before, and with a little help from a Navajo trickster god Coyote,he dupes them into thinking they chopped him up in the Arizona dessert. The Navajo Coyote is not above his own mischief and Atticus is battling for survival from an unlikely source.… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,740,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible