Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book…

Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne, Gene Mollica (Cover artist)

Member:bookzen
Title:Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four)
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Other authors:Gene Mollica (Cover artist)
Info:Del Rey (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:literature, fantasy, urban fantasy, paperback, A Del Rey Mass Market Originial, 2012

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

Atticus fakes his death to fool the Norse gods with the help of Coyote. Then he has to help Coyote with his plan to help the Dine. Coyote has tricked Atticus in also getting rid of a couple of skinwalkers, but he's not the only one who tricks Atticus. So does Leif.

Looking forward to the next book! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Another awesome continuation of the Iron Druid Chronicles. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
I continue to love this series. I listened to this one on audiobook, and want to stress that I think the narrator is perfect for these stories - he really brings the characters to life. I particularly like the many and varied "inside references" the author makes - there are probably some of them that pass me by, but I catch quite a few from books or culture that are woven into the story quite nicely. Can't wait for the next one. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
Egalley thanks to Random House Publishing Group
You have to admire the sheer amount of author's talent! Kevin Hearne pulls it off brilliantly every bloody time!

*SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOKS AHEAD*

First of all I didn't know what to expect after the spectacular showdown in last book. Atticus went into hiding if you remember? Well, it didn't quite go as planned.

He made a deal with Coyote, Navaje trickster God, who impersonated the druid to make him look like he died. In turn Atticus would help the latter to create a gold mine on the land of his people from which they will draw money to build a source of alternative renewable energy in Arizona desert. Sounds like a fair deal?

Not really, if you remember that a deal with a trickster God will always mean that you will be somehow... you know... tricked? Instead of swiftly creating a gold mine, Atticus is drawn into a territorial conflict with two extremely dangerous and powerful skinwalkers, who are not only pissed off by Navaje invading their hunting ground, but spelled by a Norse Goddess, Hel, (a charming lady she is not) not to stop until they devour Atticus's flesh as a punishment for not joining Loki's army of supporters of Ragnarok.

No, really, I'm not kidding. Poor Atticus can't stop gaining enemies no matter where he goes.

Oberon is ever so charming and funny, Granuialle is continuing her studies as Atticus's apprentice, but there is so much tension and brutal savagery in frequent conflicts in Tricked, that these brief moments of calm feel like a breath of fresh air.

The book is pretty straightforward and mostly happens in one small town in Arizona, but it's so full of high-octane action, that you will keep feverishly turning pages until the very end. There is also a nasty surprise closer to the end, which forces you to reevaluate your opinion about one of the main characters.

What I also respect and like very much about Kevin Hearne is that each book manages to tell us about mythology, beliefs and traditions of different cultures (in this case, Navajo), and that, my dear readers, is priceless. Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike tricksters? They are nothing but bullies. While I understand the need for trickster characters in folklore and mythology, that doesn't make them any more likeable. And Coyote just makes me grumble in frustration. No matter how hard Atticus works to get an iron clad deal before working with Coyote, there's always a loophole. Always. Tricked has as its main mythology, that of the Navajo.

Atticus is up against something he knows nothing about and has to figure out how to use his knowledge to conquer the skinwalkers and fulfill his part of the bargain with Coyote. Still fun, and very interesting to see the Iron Druid almost completely out of his element. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 6, 2015 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan O'Bryan,
who bravely stands in front of my word vomit
and tells me to clean it up.
He is an outstanding alpha reader
and the finest of friends.
This is not a trick.
The best trick I ever pulled off was watching myself die.

Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shape-shifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.

Druid Atticus O'Sullivan has battled vengeful Norse thunder gods before, and with a little help from a Navajo trickster god Coyote,he dupes them into thinking they chopped him up in the Arizona dessert. The Navajo Coyote is not above his own mischief and Atticus is battling for survival from an unlikely source.… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,121,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible