Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book…

Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne (Author), Gene Mollica (Cover artist)

Member:bookzen
Title:Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four)
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Other authors:Gene Mollica (Cover artist)
Info:Del Rey (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:literature, fantasy, urban fantasy, paperback, A Del Rey Mass Market Originial, 2012

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

2012 (9) 2013 (7) Arizona (7) audiobook (10) Celtic (8) contemporary (4) coyote (5) druid (9) druids (15) ebook (10) fantasy (68) fiction (33) gods (10) humor (7) Iron Druid (9) Iron Druid Chronicles (10) Kindle (13) magic (16) mythology (15) paperback (5) paranormal (15) read (5) read in 2012 (8) series (11) supernatural (4) to-read (24) urban fantasy (51) vampires (14) werewolves (5) witches (6)

Navajo trickster god Coyote comes to the aid of Druid Atticus O’Sullivan when he's trying to avoid a death-squad, but true to his nature, Coyote has a barrage of cards up his sleeve and some quite dangerous tasks in store for Atticus. These books are all very similar in style and voice, but are a lot of fun. I wouldn't go to them for gravitas and emotional investment, but for a whirlwind trip through the world's mythologies, it's a great ride. And Oberon is always worth his share of the sausages and bacon! ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 15, 2014 |
Another awesomely solid adventure with Atticus and the amazing Oberon. I love this series. It's always entertaining, with so many geek references I'm sure I don't catch them all. Thoroughly enjoyed, now I must wait again for [b:Trapped|13536463|Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five)|Kevin Hearne|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nocover/60x80.png|16669363]. Sigh. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Book 4 of the Iron Druid series finds Atticus mopping up the mess from his last adventure, while Coyote gets him into another one. Still an enjoyable adventure and Oberon still gets all the best lines. Best pop culture moment (every book has at least one)-the Steve Perry tribute! ( )
  ronincats | May 21, 2014 |
Big thumbs up with a s*%t eating grin on my face!
I have really enjoyed this series so far, and I plan on finding the following books as soon as I can.
Oberon has been an absolute joy to the series, and he brings personality to the series.
Not much can be improved on the plot.
Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
3.5 stars
Originally posted at FanLit:

Atticus O’Sullivan, the 2000 year old druid who looks like he’s 22, has just pissed off a bunch of Old Norse gods (for details, read Hammered) and now he must go into hiding. It’s a good time for that because what he really wants to do is spend the next 12 years training his gorgeous and smart apprentice, Granuaile. Fortunately his werewolf lawyer can fix up some new identities, but first he has to fake his own death so the gods will stop hunting him, and then he needs to do a favor for Coyote, the Navajo trickster god.

Of course, this doesn’t go as easily as he hopes. The favor that wily Coyote demands involves befriending an elemental that Atticus doesn’t know, transferring a vein of gold to a Native American reservation, sabotaging a coal mining company, fighting off some scary skinwalkers, and battling some “locusts of unusual size.” And he’s also a little worried about the new vampires who’ve moved into the Phoenix area after his friend Leif was injured in Asgard.

During all the mayhem we learn a little more about Atticus’s past — there’s a lot of it, so Hearne doles it out a little at a time in each novel. Specifically, in Tricked we learn about why he came to the New World, how he killed Bigfoot in the Florida Everglades, and how some of his charms and tattoos work. We also learn more about who Coyote is and where he came from.

Readers will be happy to know that Oberon and Granuaile are back in Tricked. They stayed home during the outing to Asgard in Hammered. Granuaile is looking pretty and acting sassy, and Oberon, everyone’s favorite Irish Wolfhound, plays a prominent role in Tricked and earns a lot of sausage and bacon snacks. Both of these characters provide plenty of comic relief.

I’ve been listening to the audiobook versions of THE IRON DRUID CHRONICLES. Mostly I love Luke Daniels’ narration, though this time I think he went a little overboard with Oberon. A lot of the time he ended up sounding like Scooby Doo. I forgive him.

If you’re new to THE IRON DRUID CHRONICLES, I recommend starting at the beginning with Hounded. This is a great series; it’s got a perfect pace, charming characters, pleasing prose, and just the right amount of humor. At the end of Tricked it feels like a major change is coming as Atticus and Granuaile are finally (we assume) able to settle down to get Granuaile trained. The next novel, Trapped (that’s an ominous title, isn’t it?), takes place 12 years later but there’s a novella called Two Ravens and One Crow which takes place between Tricked and Trapped which fans will not want to miss. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan O'Bryan,
who bravely stands in front of my word vomit
and tells me to clean it up.
He is an outstanding alpha reader
and the finest of friends.
This is not a trick.
The best trick I ever pulled off was watching myself die.

Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shape-shifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.

Druid Atticus O'Sullivan has battled vengeful Norse thunder gods before, and with a little help from a Navajo trickster god Coyote,he dupes them into thinking they chopped him up in the Arizona dessert. The Navajo Coyote is not above his own mischief and Atticus is battling for survival from an unlikely source.… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

126 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,237,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible