The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan

by Katherine Applegate

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.
Recently added byDayB, private library, SoledadMRamos, orcpac7, MotherLibrarian, mloshkosh, Skyward_Academy
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (C.Vick)
    A Dogʼs Life: The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These tender, wistful stories of survival are told from an animal's perspective -- stray pooch, Squirrel, and captured gorilla, Ivan. While humans both help and hinder them during their long struggles, they find hope (and secure homes) in the end.… (more)
    The Underneath by Kathi Appelt (C.Vick)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)

A quick story, but good. I didn’t realize until the end that it was based on a real gorilla who was captured in the Congo, raised by a family in their home, and then kept in captivating for years with no other gorillas. The story is told from his point of view. He is an artist and lives with an elephant and little stray dog. ( )
  bookworm12 | Sep 15, 2019 |
What an amazingly sweet story. I loved it and totally understand why it won the Newbery this year. ( )
  Oregonpoet | Jul 12, 2019 |
When I read The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate my heart went out to Ivan. As a young gorilla he was taken from the wild, along with his sister, Tag, and brought in a box to America. Tag couldn't take being out of the wild, but Ivan decided to forget all about the wild. Forgetting helped him enjoy TV shows, yogurt covered raisins, and other human treats. It made me think about how hard it would be to be separated from my family and put in a totally different environment. I loved hearing Ivan’s thoughts and his opinions about what the humans were saying. Stella was so sweet, and I felt sorry for her and the pain she had to go through in or order to perform. Ruby enchanted me with her questions and curiosity. I would recommend this book to anyone in fourth grade and up. It is a book about friendship, risks, and thinking outside the box. This book is for anybody with a love for animals, art, or both. I look forward to reading more books by this author. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
The One and Only Ivan is the heartbreaking story of a silverback gorilla and his animal companions living in captivity as a mall attraction. Ivan gave up hope for a better life for himself long ago and contents himself with his friends, including the janitor's young daughter. That is, until the day that the mall adds a new baby elephant to its "zoo." Suddenly Ivan knows that he can't let his fate become young Ruby's fate as well. Together with his friends, Ivan will conspire to create a better future for all of them.

Ivan's story, inspired by the real-life story of a silverback gorilla that lived at a shopping mall for 27 years, it truly touching and a great read for kids - especially the animal lovers among us. ( )
  adrouet | Jul 9, 2019 |
This unforgettable novel from renowned author Katherine Applegate celebrates the transformative power of unexpected friendship. Inspired by the true story of a captive gorilla known as Ivan, this illustrated book is told from the point of view of Ivan himself.

Having spent twenty-seven years behind the glass walls of his enclosure in a shopping mall, Ivan has grown accustomed to humans watching him. He hardly ever thinks about his life in the jungle. Instead, Ivan occupies himself with television, his friends Stella and Bob, and painting. But when he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from the wild, he is forced to see their home, and his art, through new eyes. (Amazon review)
  HeidiSki | Jul 9, 2019 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baldinucci, LoredanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks.

--from the book summary

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Applegate's book The One and Only Ivan was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,753,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible