The Right Attitude to Rain

by Alexander McCall Smith

Series: Isabel Dalhousie (3)

When friends from Dallas arrive in Edinburgh and introduce Isabel to Tom Bruce, a bigwig at home in Texas, several confounding situations unfurl at once. Tom's young fiancée's roving eye leads Isabel to believe that money may be the root of her love for Tom. But what, Isabel wonders, is the root of the interest Tom begins to show for Isabel herself? And she can't forget about her niece, Cat, who's busy falling for a man whom Isabel suspects of being an incorrigible mama's boy. Of course Grace and Isabel's friend Jamie counsel Isabel to stay out of all of it, but there are irresistible philosophical issues at stake, when to tell the truth and when to keep one's mouth shut.… (more)

After reading this novel I felt it was generally slow-paced and cerebral. But there is some surprising movement and development in Isabel's life as well. Isabel does lots of philosophical thinking as always; discussing lots of it with friends.

Isabel often thinks about others.She is definitely a nosy-body but in a good way. She is considering how she can help Grace, her housekeeper, and ends up doing one of the nicest things one can for another.

Mimi, her mother's cousin and husband, Joe from Dallas, come to visit for a month. Isabel asks Mimi for information about her mother who died before Isabel became an adult. Based on an earlier conversation about people's values Mimi awkwardly offers a stunning revelation knowing Isabel is mature enough to process and accept the news.

Cat has a new boyfriend, a mama's boy, and Isabel knows how those relationships usually end. And surprisingly Eddie finds confidence and optimism with a young Australian woman. But the most significant change is with Isabel herself. She finds herself in love.

Good read. Lots to think about.
  Bookish59 | Nov 2, 2020 |
Enjoyable light read putting one in the usual selection on philosophical dilemas. ( )
  GeoffSC | Jul 25, 2020 |
Picking up an Alexander McCall Smith novel makes me want to curl up in a chair with a cup of hot tea. Considering the temperature here in the Southeast, I'll pass on the hot tea. But I have enjoyed the Isabel Dalhousie "mysteries" a great deal. Isabel is a philosopher, given to musings that are thought-provoking for me and that tie in with the novel's themes and plots more than you'd think at first glance.

In Book 3 of the series, Isabel is her usual inquisitive self. She has her American cousins visiting her and through them, she meets Tom Bruce (a Texas bigwig) and his fiance, who is all-too-obviously more interested in Isabel's love interest than in the man whose ring she wears. The philosopher's interest is raised: why is she marrying him? For his money? Why does Tom put up with this? Should Isabel intervene?

In the meantime, her niece's former boyfriend Jamie and Isabel are venturing closer to love. But can they overcome the fourteen year age difference and her niece's anger?

The "mystery" aspect is downplayed in favor of the relationships. The plot is slow--Isabel's philosophical musings tend to do that--but I'm okay with that. He's a fine writer with an excellent grasp on ethical issues and penetrating insights into human relationship dynamics. Even when I don't agree with Isabel's conclusions, they still make me think.

Another plus for me: the lack of offensive language. (Thank God. An intelligent novel that doesn't resort to using the "f" word. I get tired of that.)

A worth while read. Don't expect a page turner, though.
  MeredithRankin | Jun 7, 2019 |
This novel fills in all the blanks about Jamie and Isabel falling in love and getting together. Cat and Isabel have a standoff at one point because Cat is jealous of Isabel's and Jamie's love and just will not talk to Isabel for a time. Most of this book has Isabel's cousin and wife from TX visiting Scotland and they visit someone from TX who has relocated to Scotland (along with his betrothed) who wants to get his mitts on her Jamie. Eventually Tom and Angie of said couple break up but it looks like she may have taken her revenge out on his house in trying to burn it down with him in it. Vindictive yes? ( )
  lhaines56 | Feb 26, 2017 |
This book was light on plot and heavy on relationships between characters. While I want Isabel to be happy, I wanted a problem of some kind for her to sink her teeth into, like in the last book. I just felt a bit let down by this one. Ah well, you can't have everything! I'll still read or listen to the next one. I hope I can get it in audiobook form because I enjoy the narrator's voice. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |

Smith, Alexander McCallprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skopan, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To take an interest in the affairs of others is entirely natural

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,243,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible