Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Series)…

Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Deborah Harkness (Author)

Series: All Souls (2)

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.
Member:SharleneMartinMoore
Title:Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Series)
Authors:Deborah Harkness (Author)
Info:Viking (2012), Edition: First Edition/First Printing, 592 pages
Rating:*****

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (248)  Dutch (1)  All languages (249)
Slightly overwrought and convoluted. Still looking forward to the third. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
Digital audiobook performed by Jennifer Ikeda

Book two in the All Souls Trilogy picks up where book one left off.

SPOILER ALERT – if you haven’t read book one, you might not want to read any farther.

Diana has successfully transported herself and Matthew back to 16th-century England, where they hope to find a witch to help Diana learn her craft, and, perhaps more importantly, find the original Ashmole 782 manuscript. Matthew, having been here before, has an easy enough time fitting in, but Diana is pretty obviously “not from here” and that causes some issues. There is much political intrigue, not only that related to witches vs vampires vs daemons, and Matthew and Diana are mired deep into the muck quickly.

I was not so caught up in this book as I was with the first one. I felt it dragged in places and I didn’t feel the same passion between Diana and Matthew so evident in Discovery of Witches. I did enjoy the appearances by famous real-life 16th-century figures (Shakespeare, Marlow, Queen Elizabeth I, etc), as well as learning a bit more about the various kinds of witches and following Diana’s quest to find her roots and learn her craft. And I loved her familiar!

Diana cannot seem to let go of her modern sensibilities and has a tendency to interfere in ways that put them in danger. (Sounds familiar to anyone who’s read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.) Matthew continues his usual brooding and protective behavior. As a result, their relationship hits a few bumps but they do manage to work things through. There are times when I want to slap Matthew and tell him to just explain in detail, but I suppose that would lessen the suspense and the tension between him and Diana. Harkness also includes a couple of touching scenes involving parental love as well.

The puzzle continues in book three, which I’ll read – eventually. I don’t feel a pressing need to do so, however.

Jennifer Ikeda did a fine job of narrating the audiobook. She really brings these characters to life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 8, 2021 |
I have a love/hate relationship with this series. There's so much about it I love and yet Matthew and Diana just drive me crazy and not in a good way. ( )
  crimsonraider | Jun 20, 2021 |
Harkness, Deborah. Shadow of Night. All Souls No. 2. Viking, 2012.
Warning: Spoilers for A Discovery of Witches. In the second volume of the All Souls trilogy, Matthew and Dianna, now married, time walk to Renaissance Europe. Dianna needs some witchy training. Paranormal creatures seem even thicker on the ground in the Renaissance than they were in the twenty-first century. Matthew has displaced the version of himself that was alive at the time, making his life more complicated. Dianna’s modern North Carolina accent makes it difficult for her to communicate with the Elizabethans. As expected, plots abound, especially around the enchanted alchemical test, Ashmole 682. The historical setting allows Harkness to have fun with several historical figures, most notably, Christopher Marlowe, who is a demon with a gay crush on Matthew. If you liked Discovery, you will no doubt enjoy the ride in Shadow. ( )
  Tom-e | Jun 1, 2021 |
A LOT of reading, but still didn’t want it to end.

My suspension of disbelief has been plumbed to outrageous depths and yet the preposterous story has sucked me in (sorry). The books also have so much actual historical detail - like the many new things you learn when reading a Dan Brown novel - that it is sumptuous learning about all kinds of new curiosities, from 16th century Bohemian women’s fashion to rare wine vintages and ancient alchemy books. I know I’ll enjoy re-reading the two books I’ve read so far, but now I’m off to begin the third - and I believe last - book in the series.
  Hokie | May 23, 2021 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,286,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible