Shadow of Night (Movie Tie-In): A Novel (All…

Shadow of Night (Movie Tie-In): A Novel (All Souls Series) (original 2012; edition 2021)

by Deborah Harkness (Author)

Series: All Souls (2)

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.
Member:TimidHuman7
Title:Shadow of Night (Movie Tie-In): A Novel (All Souls Series)
Authors:Deborah Harkness (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2021), Edition: Media tie-in, 592 pages

Work Information

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex, lottpoet)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (260)  Dutch (1)  All languages (261)
I was a bit disappointed. It was just okay, too much romance and not enough adventure. Best part was the presence of some historical figures. ( )
  Sensory | Oct 8, 2022 |
Well, that was about 400 pages to long. Took me forever to read because I just didn’t care. I found it drawn out and all the historical details felt tedious and unnecessary rather than interesting and enchanting. I’m sure some will enjoy all the historical tidbits I however am not one of them.
The question is do I read the third book? ( )
  liltastypuff | Sep 12, 2022 |
Romance novel wrapped in a time travel story. Not interested in reading more of the series. Harkness writes well . I just don't care for the story. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Aug 19, 2022 |
After devouring A Discovery of Witches by this Author, I spent a long time waiting for the sequel... why did I bother. For those of you who may be thinking of picking this up to read as a standalone book, I would strongly advise against it, as you will be even more confused at the end of this tome than you were at the beginning.

As far as the characters in this book are concerned, so much more could have been done with the slew of new ones that were introduced, but I will get back to that in a moment. The two main protagonists are still the same pair the reader encountered in the first book in this series, and we pick up with them exactly where the previous book left them. As to their development within this novel’s pages, it is sorely lacking and has a tendency to take any likability they invoked in the first book away from them in this. In fact they come across as being rather flat and one-dimensional. As with most books that feature actual historical characters, there is a myriad of resources available to the Author to build their characters upon, unfortunately this was not the case here and I felt the Author left it up to the reader’s knowledge of these persons to create their back-story. This left the characters, from a fictional point of view, being people I really didn’t care about or want to know better. The dialogue between the characters is between the characters is bland and, at times, there is far too much of it which results in the storyline becoming bogged down and boring.

The Authors biggest downfall, in my opinion, was the depth into which she outlined the political intrigue of the time period in which the novel is set. It was apparent from this that they had done an extensive amount of research, but by including so much of it in this fictional piece of work I found myself drifting to other things and feeling as if I were reading a very dry and dusty history text book. Another irritant for me, and one of a multitude that led to the rating this book was given, was the flippant way in which the Author treated time travel; there was none of the tact or explanatory pieces that appear in works by Diana Gabaldon, or the humour used by Connie Willis to help the reader navigate around these segments of their work.

I’m hesitant to recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the first in the series, and doubt very much that I will be reading the conclusion.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2014/02/20/review-shadow-of-night-all-souls-trilogy-2...

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
  Melline | Aug 13, 2022 |
Wasn't sure I was going to like this one because I'm not fond of books where real historical persons are characters but ended up loving it. The historical persons were secondary characters and the actions that they took in the book were concerning the minutiae of life so they didn't bother me. I loved the historical aspect of the story, the elements where the day to day life of Elizabethan England were portrayed.

The relationship between the two major characters advanced and I loved how they stuck together. "There is no path forward that does not have him in it." Any time things got bad (really throughout the entire trilogy) Diana just repeats this mantra and goes on.

Loved meeting Philip. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,200,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible