Italian Days by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

Italian Days (edition 1998)

by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison (Author)

This book is a journey down the Italian peninsula that will make even the most experienced traveler relive its splendor anew. Harrison offers a fascinating mixture of Italian history, politics, folklore, food, architecture, art, and literature.
Member:James_Cassedy
Title:Italian Days
Authors:Barbara Grizzuti Harrison (Author)
Info:Atlantic Monthly Press (1998), Edition: 1st Atlantic Monthly Press Pbk. Ed, 512 pages

Work Information

Italian Days by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

I wanted to love this book, but could not read past the first 40 pages. I felt as though I were reading in ADD. The author's thoughts are jumpy at best, incohesive and divergent. I actually agreed with most of her perceptions of Milan, but the writing style was simply frustrating. Thinking this might be something found only at the start of the book, I jumped to the Florence section and found the same difficulties.

It was also disconcerting that her translations of Italian were incorrect (at least in the sections I read). Literal translations do not match the actual meaning of many words and phrases in Italian. Literal translations leave out the expression and emotion of the people and life of Italy. There are few books I haven't been able to read. Unfortunately this is one of them. ( )
  traczy555 | Feb 20, 2009 |
A literary travel book, memoir and art history. Beautifully written, thoughtful, integrated
  shoshanah | Mar 17, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,590,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible