This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave…

This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl

by Paul Brannigan

The epic story of a singular career that includes Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, and Them Crooked Vultures. Based on ten years of original, exclusive interviews with the man himself and conversations with a legion of musical associates like Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme, DC punk legend Ian MacKaye, and Nevermind producer Butch Vig, this is Grohl's story. He speaks candidly and honestly about Kurt Cobain, the arguments that almost tore Nirvana apart, the feuds that threatened to derail the Foo Fighters' global success, and the dark days that almost caused him to quit music for good.… (more)

There is a lot of amazing content in this book, but I'm not sure I needed all of this in a biography. Knowing the history of every band that ever influenced Dave Grohl, every early concert he played, and an analysis of every song he played is just too much for someone looking to read a casual biography. A lot of this content would perhaps have been better presented as lists in an appendix.

That being said, I learned a lot about one of my favourite musicians that I would have missed such as other musical projects besides Foo Fighters and Nirvana. And Grohl's passion for music certainly comes through.

Brannigan's research is outstanding; I would have liked to see stronger editing to get this into a more readable form. ( )
  crosbyc | Apr 25, 2013 |
Most of the time this book stays far too much in a journalism sort of swagger. Rather than anything more in depth. I always enjoy an autobiography more than a biography. And this book spends far too much time in the first half explaining in depth entire records from the underground punk rock scene where Dave originated. And while it is definitely relevant it becomes hard slog to read through at times. Overall it's a great collation of Dave's life and I have enjoyed getting some more insight into the life of one of my heroes. ( )
  teaswirls | Apr 3, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,548,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible