Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan

Team Human

by Sarah Rees Brennan, Justine Larbalestier

Other authors: Anne Hoppe (Editor), Jodie Webster (Editor)

Residing in New Whitby, Maine, a town founded by vampires trying to escape persecution, Mel finds her negative attitudes challenged when her best friend falls in love with one, another friend's father runs off with one, and she herself is attracted to someone who tries to pass himself off as one.
Recently added byrena75, Phirebird
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (pearshaped)
    pearshaped: Good writing, funny & tragic, urban fantasy setting.
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both teen romances with sparky dialogue, strong girls with their own agenda and friendships as well as romance. Similar sense of humour in both.
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)

I read this a while ago, and it took me a while to remember it. It's a vampires and humans coexist universe, where people can choose to become vampires. It's always kind of interesting because a lot of characters have big moral objections to becoming a vampire, and I wonder how that would work out in real life. In this one a girl is trying to convince her friend to stay away from vampires and definitely not become one to be with her boyfriend, and her friend does not agree. So this is a vampire love story not told from the lover's perspective, which is an interesting twist. ( )
  t1bnotown | Dec 7, 2019 |
Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity!
On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.
  Gmomaj | Sep 3, 2019 |
Okay, so I’m pretty sure none of y’all have seen me after watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer or the Vampire Diaries. Some of you might have read my reactions to books like The Vampire Academy/Bloodines by Richelle Mead. If not I’d just like to make one thing clear: I love vampires. I am obsessed with them.
That being said, I have also in the past said that under no circumstances would I ever consider BECOMING a vampire.
There are many perks to being a vampire. Lets see if we can list them:
Eternal youth.
You get, like, a thousand sexy points upon turning.
You get to spend forever with your one true love.
It’s very romantic.
You can be really, really bad.
But, there are there drawbacks:
You have to live for eternity.
You may be stuck as eternally middle-aged, depending on hen you turned.
Other people you love, family, friends, you’ll outlive them.
No sunlight.
In some books, no sleep.
In this one, no laughter. No crying.
And me? I just… I couldn’t. the very thought of eternity scares me to death. Its so big and the though of having to fill all of it? I’d go insane.
Not to mention, I’m having a hard time that my best friend moved to another state for college. If she died and I’d have to live forever…
No sunlight. I…
No sleep? That makes filling up eternity even harder.
And than, this last one? No laughter, no crying? That’s such a big part of me. My life is an emotional roller coaster. I’ve had some pretty low lows, and I’ve hated them. I’ve… I tried to commit suicide once. And I’ve had several heavy contemplations of it, both before and after the attempt.
But when I’m not on one of my lows… I laugh all the time. it’s par of what keeps me going.
So… I guess, by those standards, I’d be on Team Human, right?
I still love vampires. I adore them. If I was offered to be a vampire blood slave, I’d probably do it.
So, does that make me Team Vampire?
I guess that I’m just Team Me.
Does that make sense?

Wow, deep thoughts. This was actually a pretty funny book. I spent all afternoon cracking up. Why don’t I just get to reviewing it already, huh?

Plot: Fantastic. 5/5
So we’ve got a mystery thing going on. Sort of a murder mystery, but that’s only half the plot. The other half has to do with vampire complications, and how the vampires and the murder-mystery connect. (no, the vampires did not kill the dude)

Characters: 4/5
Mel: Has got the WORST NAME EVER. Seriously, what kind of parents would inflict that upon their child?
Other than that, I liked her as a character. She was snarky and funny and determined, and her unease of vampires was understandable. Though at times, it seemed like less of an uneasiness and more like a hatred, even though she consciously insisted she didn’t hate vampires. Her view on vampires… confusing. It did seem like she hated them at times, but, as was observed by other characters, they’d never done anything to her. No dead family members or anything. Yeah, there was thing with her friend Anna, but that gives Anna cause to hate vampires. Not Mel.
Cathy: Eh. I’m not sure if I believed her character at all.
Anna: We never really got to know her that well.
Francis: Okay, I really loved the way he talks. It’s hilarious.
Kit: Most definitely my favorite character. Possibly because he kind of has the same thoughts regarding and becoming one as I do, towards the end at least.

Romance: 5/5
If you ask me, Mel and Kit are a perfect match. They’re both really funny, and they’re complete opposites in nearly every other way.

2 points extra credit for making think such deep thoughts.

Overall grade: 16/15

That’s an A . Good job, Justine Labralestier and Sarah Reece Brennan. You guys get a smiley face sticker!

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I chuckled through half of this book, I swear. Because I am that person who yells out "Team Bella Learning to Love Yourself" instead of falling all over super-romantic vampires and weres. So I completely understood Mel when her best friend fell for their school's new student, the super handsome vampire guy and Mel was so very against it. She's hilarious and a good friend and this book was fun. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I went into this book thinking it was going to be a fun read about a tough girl braving the world of vampires in a satire. I'm not sure why I was expecting this because as I reread the summaries from Goodreads and my local library's collection, I really should have got the clue that this book wasn't for me.

I didn't find this book very funny. I don't think this is a good sign because I laugh at everything--and I truly mean everything. To give it credit, I think I did chuckle at a few things but overall I was left disappointed in the humour aspect. I expect books written as satires to have a little ironic humour in them and I didn't think this one did at all.

Also, Mel drove me crazy. She annoyed the crap out of me and I found it hard to continue reading. She's rude and selfish and unnecessarily violent. Francis is weird and I wanted to give Cathy a good slap. The only character I enjoyed was Kit because I thought he was quirky and probably delivered on the "satire" part of the novel. (After I read this, I guess the satire part shines in the characters because they are everything I hate about angsty teen vampire romance novels--so bravo!).

The plot was ok and I guess I see the irony (*coughcough* [b:Twilight|41865|Twilight (Twilight, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361039443s/41865.jpg|3212258]) but there was nothing that really wowed me about it.

Overall: This book was a miss for me. It fails to deliver as a satire and has unlikeable characters. Thankfully, it was a quick read.

Check out more spoiler-free book and series reviews on my blog SERIESous Book Reviews as well as read book series recaps!
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |

Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weise, CarlaTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a reply to

Without Team Vampire, the writers whose vampires have inspired and delighted us, Team Human would never have been. This book is dedicated with thanks to John Ajvide Lindqvist, Heather Brewer, Rachel Caine, Suzy McKee Charnas, Caroline B. Cooney, Jewelle Gomez, Claudia Gray, Barbara Hambly, Charlaine Harris, Alyxandra Harvey, Tanya Huff, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Stephen King, Elizabeth Knox, Tanith Lee, J. Sheridan Le Fanu, Robin McKinley, Richelle, Mead, Stephenie Meyer, Anne Rice, James Malcolm Rymer, L. J. Smith, Bram Stoker, Scott Westerfeld... and all the many other talented advocates for the undead.
I wasn't feeling very enthused about education the day the vampire came to school.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,347,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible