1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

1Q84 (edition 2011)

by Haruki Murakami (Author), Jay Rubin (Translator), Philip Gabriel (Translator)

Series: 1Q84 (1-3)

6,6592831,017 (3.83)3 / 717
An ode to George Orwell's "1984" told in alternating male and female voices relates the stories of Aomame, an assassin for a secret organization who discovers that she has been transported to an alternate reality, and Tengo, a mathematics lecturer and novice writer.
Member:amiraa
Title:1Q84
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Other authors:Jay Rubin (Translator), Philip Gabriel (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2011), Edition: First Edition, 944 pages
Rating:***

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

English (266)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Greek (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  All languages (281)
I really liked this, I think this is one of the most coherent books of his that I have read even though I haven't read them all by any means. I found it easy to read and the surreal elements that were visible only to certain people just added to the intrigue of this book. I think it was the scene,very early on in the book, where the woman is in the taxi on the overhead road and she gets out of the taxi and there begins another world, that was the one that had me hooked.

After that I just could not put it down and even though it's a very long book I was just hoping that it wouldn't end. Overall, I found the story coherent and consistent and I like the way that everything was all tied up at the end of the book. There was nothing left hanging and not much left unexplained. I like that in a book. ( )
  Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
always good, this was wow. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
always good, this was wow. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |

F I N I S H E D G O O D B O O K ( )
  givemethecure | Aug 25, 2020 |
Yes, editing could have/should have taken 100+ pages away ... but Murakami had enough 'magic' to keep me intrigued. (and wanting more!) ( )
  MccMichaelR | Jul 23, 2020 |
Murakami name-drops George Orwell's laugh-riot 1984 several times. Both books deal with the concept of manipulated realities. And while Murakami's book is more than three times as long, it's also more fun to read.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, John Bear (Jan 26, 2012)

As always, the experience is a bit like watching a Hollywood-influenced Japanese movie in a version that’s been dubbed by American actors. This time, sad to say, it also reminded me of stretches of the second season of Twin Peaks: familiar characters do familiar things, with the expected measure of weirdness, but David Lynch has squabbled with the network and left the show.

I finished 1Q84 feeling that its spiritual project was heroic and beautiful, that its central conflict involved a pitched battle between realism and unrealism (while being scrupulously fair to both sides), and that, in our own somewhat unreal times, younger readers, unlike me, would have no trouble at all believing in the existence of Little People and replicants. What they may have trouble with is the novel’s absolute faith in the transformative power of love.

One of the many longueurs in Haruki Murakami’s stupefying new novel, “1Q84,” sends the book’s heroine, a slender assassin named Aomame, into hiding. To sustain her through this period of isolation she is given an apartment, groceries and the entirety of Marcel Proust’s “Remembrance of Things Past.”

For pity’s sake, if you have that kind of spare time, follow her lead. Aomame has the chance to read a book that is long and demanding but well worth the effort. The very thought of Aomame’s situation will pain anyone stuck in the quicksand of “1Q84.” You, sucker, will wade through nearly 1,000 uneventful pages while discovering a Tokyo that has two moons and is controlled by creatures that emerge from the mouth of a dead goat. These creatures are called Little People. They are supposed to be very wise, even though the smartest thing they ever say is “Ho ho.”

1Q84 is psychologically unconvincing and morally unsavory, full of lacunas and loose ends, stuffed to the gills with everything but the kitchen sink and a coherent story. By every standard metric, it is gravely flawed. But, I admit, standard metrics are difficult to apply to Murakami. It's tempting to write that out of five stars, I'd give this book two moons.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dean, SuzanneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holm, MetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
just as phoney as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make-believe
if you believed in me

"It's Only a Paper Moon,"
~~ Billy Rose and E. Y. "Yip" Harburg
The taxi's radio was tuned to a classical FM broadcast.
I'm taking you straight to bald heaven, nonstop.
Don't let appearances fool you. There's always only one reality.
Please remember: things are not what they seem.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the smell of evil
This is those works (sets, single-volume editions) containing the complete text of 1Q84. Please do not combine with any single volumes from multi-book versions.

Assassin, cult, love,
two moons over Tokyo.
"Not all wounds gush blood".
(Jenni_Canuck)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,796,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible