Jennifer Government by Max Barry

Jennifer Government (edition 2004)

by Max Barry

In Max Barry's twisted, hilarious and terrifying vision of the near future, the world is run by giant corporations and employees take the last names of the companies they work for. It's a globalised, ultra-capitalist, free market paradise! Hack Nike is a lowly merchandising officer who's not very good at negotiating his salary. So when John Nike and John Nike, executives from the promised land of Marketing, offer him a contract, he signs without reading it. Unfortunately, Hack's new contract involves shooting teenagers to build up street cred for Nike's new line of $2,500 trainers. Hack goes to the police - but they assume that he's asking for a subcontracting deal and lease the assassination to the more experienced NRA. Enter Jennifer Government, a tough-talking agent with a barcode tattoo under her eye and a personal problem with John Nike (the boss of the other John Nike). And a gun. Hack is about to find out what it really means to mess with market forces.… (more)
Member:mfagan
Title:Jennifer Government
Authors:Max Barry
Info:Vintage (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 321 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Jennifer Government by Max Barry

The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl (prezzey)
    prezzey: Two satirical takes on capitalism and consumerism in the future, a classic and a more recent work.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (psybre)
    Zodiac by Neal Stephenson (5hrdrive)
    Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer (fulner)
    fulner: Dark Money is the investigation to the How the Koch's influence American politics. Jennifer Government is a dystopian fictional work about 21st century world if the Ko hs ideology rules the planet
    Spook Country by William Gibson (mcuquet)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (fulner)
    fulner: Brave New world is a dystopian novel based on a world with too much enjoyment. Jennifer Government is a dystopian novel based on too much freedom.
    Zero History by William Gibson (mcuquet)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Both give a humorous-with-a-bite view of the future of global politics & economics with a techie bent.
    A Planet for the President: A Novel by Alistair Beaton (Vonini)
    Vonini: Same kind of satire and atmosphere. Also a fun and light read.
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (mcuquet)
    Incompetence by Rob Grant (verenka)

English (98)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (100)
I had to return it to the library, but I would pick it up again. It was funny in the beginning but now it's getting kind of dark (dark satire, that is).
  quantum.alex | May 31, 2021 |
Wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak. ( )
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |
A bit too on the nose for me. I like a little subtlety in my satire. The only character with actual skills got what he deserved which was nice. ( )
  frfeni | Jan 31, 2021 |
Jennifer Government is generally over-rated. If you're going to read something by Barry, read his excellent thriller Lexicon. ( )
  Carnophile | Jan 16, 2021 |
Disclaimer: I'm a huge Barry fan. This novel is extremely well-done, hilarious, disturbing and all too relevant in the current dystopia we're living in the Cheeto's America. "In the near future," the main characters have surnames provided by the companies that employ them -- and own them, through punitive contracts and the kind of non-disclosure agreements the current president employs to keep his misdeeds hidden. Every bit of life is mediated by a savage "capitalizm" that requires crime victims to pay the security forces if they want justice done. The world is not run by autocracies like Atwood's Gilead or a Max Maxian strong man, but by the dueling credit card rewards programs that can bring even non-consumer oriented corporations like Boeing to its knees. A great read. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
a funny and clever novel by Max Barry that's set in the ''near future.''
added by mikeg2 | editNew York Times, Rob Walker (Feb 16, 2003)

Barry, Maxprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sch√ľnemann, AnjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Heyne (13758)
With money we will get men, Caesar said, and with men we will get money.
Thomas Jefferson, 1784
... a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson, 1801
For Charles Thiesen
Who really, really wanted me to call it "Capitalizm"
Hack first heard about Jennifer Government at the watercooler.
Yes, some people died. But let's not pretend these are the first people to die in the interest of commerce. Let's not pretend there's a company in this room that hasn't put profit above human life at some point. We make cars we know some people will die in. We make medicine that carries a chance of a fatal reaction. We make guns. I mean, you want to expel someone here for murder, let's start with the Philip Morris Liaison. We have all, at some point, put a price tag on a human life and decided we can afford it.
Look, I am not designing next year's ad campaign here, I'm getting rid of the Government, the greatest impediment to business in history. You don't do that without a downside. Yes, some people die. But look at the gain! Run a cost-benefit analysis! Maybe some of you have forgotten what companies really do. So let me remind you: they make as much money as possible. If they don't, investors go elsewhere. It's that simple. We're all cogs in wealth-creation machines. That's all.
I've given you a world without Government interference. There is now no advertising campaign, no intercompany deal, no promotion, no action you can't take. You want to pay kids to get the swoosh tattooed on their foreheads? Whose going to stop you?....You want the NRA to help you eliminate your competition? Then do it. Just do it.
Also called Logoland in some countries.

We're pawns; branding and
money-making reign supreme.
The future? Or now?
(ed.pendragon)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,848,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible