Another Roadside Attraction: A Novel by Tom…

Another Roadside Attraction: A Novel (original 1971; edition 2003)

by Tom Robbins (Author)

What if the Second Coming didn't quite come off as advertised? What if the Corpse' on display in that funky roadside zoo is really who they say it is - what does that portend for the future of western civilisation? And what if a young clairvoyant named Amanda re-establishes the flea circus as popular entertainment and fertility worshi as the principal religious form of our high-tech age? Another Roadside Attraction answers those questions and more. It tells us what the '60s were really all about, not by reporting the psychadelic age, but by recreating it.'… (more)
Member:jennamozingo
Title:Another Roadside Attraction: A Novel
Authors:Tom Robbins (Author)
Info:Bantam (2003), Edition: Reissue, 393 pages
Collections:Favorites
Rating:*****

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins (1971)

The image of Amanda and her butterflies has stayed with me. I thought of it recently when reading The Satanic Verses when an erstwhile prophetess is clothed only in them. And Jesus, found in the Vatican in a secret room we all know exists -- this is just too good. My favorite of the Robbins books I tried. ( )
  wickenden | Mar 8, 2021 |
How come no one ever told me about Tom Robbins? I had to randomly discover him in my own, not sure quite how, but I've been looking for exactly this style for I don't know how long. A readable Pynchon, that's what he is. Loved it. ( )
  5hrdrive | Mar 1, 2021 |
Jesus, the Church, Western civilization and what it all means, with Pagan tinge already apparent
  ritaer | Apr 15, 2020 |
Robbins' riff on organized religion is still as sharp and funny as it was when it was written half a century ago.

Even though it was his first novel, 'Another Roadside Attraction' already shows the structural elements Robbins continued to use in his other works: a collection of oddball characters and seemingly unrelated and wildly unlikely events all stitched together with wry observations and astonishing metaphors. The reader is entertained, amused, and frequently baffled as to just where this journey is going but it eventually gets there and it always turns out that the trip was worth the effort.

In this debut effort, John Paul Zimmer (loincloth-clad musician, sculptor, and mystic) in company with his companion baboon Mon Cul and his lubricious bride Amanda (the ultimate hippy-chick Earth mother) decide to rehabilitate an abandoned diner in Washington’s rain-soaked Skagit Valley. There they open a hot dog stand and zoo containing, among other things, a tsetse fly preserved in amber, a flea circus whose performers are costumed by Amanda in microscopic velvet and spangles, a collection of garter snakes, and a bow-legged rooster. From there, it’s but a hop, skip, and jump (which, in Robbins-land means about 200 pages) to an astonishing discovery in the catacombs of the Vatican and the need to reveal something which could bring down Western civilization. Actually, it’s two decisions – should they tell, and is Western civilization worth keeping, anyway.

If one digs down below the mushroom-glazed surface, there’s a great deal to think about in this novel. Robbins is not reluctant to tackle The Big Questions. Only the reader can decide who comes out on top in the resulting brawl. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Jun 2, 2019 |
Trite bullshit. Now I have to think of a nice way to tell my dad that this book is fucking awful and a waste of time. There were several segments of lovely prose, good ideas and provoking thoughts, but it was all buried in a nonsense stew of free-association and self-indulgent cheap philosophy with no backbone or substantial characters.

"But what about Amanda?"

What about her? A woman empowered to give erections, who only opens her mouth for cock and to talk about butterflies. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

“And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written."
JOHN 21:25
“Incidentally, Reggie Fox, who runs the Dalai Lama's 16-mm. projector, said that 16-mm. Tarzan films or Marx Brothers films would make a big hit with the Dalai Lama and those around him. They most certainly don't want to see any pictures where human or animal life is taken; amusement and adventure are the things that they are interested in.”
Lowell Thomas, Jr., Out of This World
(Appendix, “What to Take When You Go to Tibet")
This book is dedicated to the Kendrick boys—Capt. John (deceased) and Billy (kicking); to Shazam, to tiny Terrie, and to the “fantastic foolybear” wherever she may be.
The magician's underwear has just been found in a cardboard suitcase floating in a stagnant pond on the outskirts of Miami.

What if the Second Coming didn't quite come off as advertised? What if "the Corpse" on display in that funky roadside zoo is really who they say it is - what does that portend for the future of western civilisation? And what if a young clairvoyant named Amanda re-establishes the flea circus as popular entertainment and fertility worship as the principal religious form of our high-tech age? Another Roadside Attraction answers those questions and more. It tells us what the '60s were really all about, not by reporting the psychedelic age, but by recreating it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,370,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible