The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

The Age of Miracles (edition 2012)

by Karen Thompson Walker (Author)

Imagines the coming-of-age story of young Julia, whose world is thrown into upheaval when it is discovered that the Earth's rotation has suddenly begun to slow, posing a catastrophic threat to all life.
Member:acappon
Title:The Age of Miracles
Authors:Karen Thompson Walker (Author)
Info:Random House (2012)

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Recently added byprivate library, Knightpanda, R_B, mantouarty, askannakarenina, kiaweathersby, CarleyR19
    Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (chazzard)
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (KatyBee)
    The Sunlight Pilgrims by Jenni Fagan (KatyBee)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in plot -- a teenager's post-murder afterlife in The Lovely Bones, and civilization's slow, steady collapse in the aftermath of disaster in The Age of Miracles -- the thoughtful young heroines of these melancholy, haunting stories are similar to one another.… (more)
    California by Edan Lepucki (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: Both books deal with living in California after a major environmental change and how to bring normalcy to uncertain times.
    Phoenix Rising by Karen Hesse (SylviaC)
    The Rest is Silence by Scott Fotheringham (ShelfMonkey)
    In Zanesville by Jo Ann Beard (hairball)
    Salvation City by Sigrid Nunez (bluenotebookonline)

English (303)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (307)
This story is slow, deliberate- paced to carefully explore the mind of the main character in the face of world-ending tragedy of the slowing, which is such an interesting premise. At times I was unsure why I was reading forward, other than for the interest of the characters, but overall a beautifully told, interesting story. ( )
  askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |
Love, love, love. Reminds me a lot of [b:The Lovely Bones|12232938|The Lovely Bones|Alice Sebold|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1312524577s/12232938.jpg|1145090]. Super creepy, a get up at 3 am and shiver book as well as a coming-of-age book. Why isn’t it YA? I think it has to do with the sense of hope in the book, and I will say no more. Beautiful writing pretty much throughout. Selected at random:

While the rest of us purchased sunlamps and installed blackout curtains for sleeping through the white nights, several thousand Americans attempted to remain in tune with daylight. The human body could adapt, they claimed, right alongside the earth. Already their circadian rhythms were adjusting, they reported, gradually stretching like elastic. They simply slept longer, stayed awake for more hours, ate a fourth meal in the afternoon. I used to hear Tom and Carlotta (neighbors) outside sometimes in the middle of the night. On sunny evenings they would work in their yard while the rest of the street tried to sleep. I recall the metallic ring of gardening shears, the shuffle of sandals on the sidewalk, the voices moving through the quiet air. It was like a haunting: two dimensions of time occupying a single space.

I was also reminded of [b:Blindness|2526|Blindness|José Saramago|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327866409s/2526.jpg|3213039], since this book starts with a simple premise -- the globe slows its rotation -- then follows through step by step on what happens next. In a similar way, Saramago starts with a person struck by a mysterious blindness -- no time wasted on explanations, the same in this book -- then point by point goes through the consequences, embedded in the narrative of this sixth-grader. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
"The Age of Miracles"? More like: "The Age of Disasters"! Before I get into why I say that, I'll elaborate on what the book is about. First off, it's actually a very well written book. it's told from the point of view of a middle school aged girl and the events in the story take place are told through her perspective. Everything was fine, until the days started to get longer. First it was only by a few minutes everyday, then it escalated to half an hour, then a full hour, then hours, until people who were stuck on the side of the hemisphere facing the Sun found that the suns hostile rays make the outside world totally inhospitable. people were forced to permanently take refuge inside their household as a slight reprieve to escape a heat-related death.

The reason I call it "The Age of Disasters" is because of how terribly things spiral out of control. Everyday lives are thrown out of whack as people scramble to reorient themselves into their new reality. I went into the book having almost no prior knowledge about its plot. I thought it would be a lot happier than what it was on account of it having the word "Miracles" in the title. And boy was I wrong.

The ending of this book doesn't even come close to the word "bittersweet." It's just plain bitter to me. It doesn't delve too deeply into the fate of humanity, but a 20 year time-skip does show you what becomes of the main character and her family, sans her love interest who she hasn't seen since the suns powerful rays gave him cancer and forced him to move to new mexico for treatment. They promised that they'd keep in touch, and meant it, but due to unknown reasons the letters the main character sent to him were never returned and they never saw one another again. My guess is that the treatment failed and he didn't survive, or maybe they never made it to new mexico at all.

This is a great, albeit depressing book.
added by morgan434 | editReading the actual book, who else? Me (Apr 17, 2015)

What sets the story apart from more run-of-the-mill high-concept novels is Ms. Walker’s decision to recount the unfolding catastrophe from the perspective of Julia, who is on the verge of turning 12. Her voice turns what might have been just a clever mash-up of disaster epic with sensitive young-adult, coming-of-age story into a genuinely moving tale that mixes the real and surreal, the ordinary and the extraordinary with impressive fluency and flair.

“The Age of Miracles” is not without its flaws. There are moments when the spell the author has so assiduously created wobbles, and moments when a made-for-Hollywood slickness seeps into the story. Some minor plot developments feel as if they had been created simply for pacing, and Ms. Walker sometimes seems so determined to use Julia’s circumscribed life as a microcosm of the larger world that the reader has to be reminded that “the slowing” is supposedly a planet-altering phenomenon.
added by ozzer | editNYTimes, MICHIKO KAKUTANI (Jun 18, 2012)

Karen Thompson Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Card, Emily JaniceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here in the last minutes, the very end of the world,
someone's tightening a screw thinner than an eyelash,
someone with slim wrists is straightening flowers...

Another End of the World, James Richardson
For my parents and for Casey
We didn't notice right away.

We did not sense at first the extra time, bulging from the smooth edge of each day like a tumor blooming beneath skin.
Sometimes the saddest stories take the fewest words...

(from the publisher)
On a seemingly ordinary Saturday in a California suburb, twelve-year-old Julia and her family awake to discover, along with the rest of the world, that the rotation of the earth has suddenly begun to slow.  Amidst this altered environment, Julia also faces a new kind of transformation – growing up.  Coping with the normal disasters of everyday life (the loss of friends, struggles in her parents’ marriage, and the anguish of first love) she grapples to find her way on a changing world.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Karen Thompson Walker's book The Age of Miracles was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,846,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible