The Moon Coin (The Moon Realm Series) by…

The Moon Coin (The Moon Realm Series) (edition 2011)

by Richard Due, Carolyn Arcabascio (Illustrator)

71None167,659 (4.18)1
Member:ljldml
Title:The Moon Coin (The Moon Realm Series)
Authors:Richard Due
Other authors:Carolyn Arcabascio (Illustrator)
Info:Gibbering Gnome Press, A Division of Ingenious Inventions Run Amok, Ink (2011), Kindle Edition
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, epic, other world, children

The Moon Coin by Richard Due

I got this through the Member Giveaway program. Though I am a (just) passed middle aged man, I loved this book. It reminded me of why I started reading stories in the first place. Adventure, magic, new worlds, sentient warrior animals, the works. One of the best member giveaway books I've ever gotten. The action starts off pretty quickly and you get to meet alot of interesting characters and soon come to care about their (and their moon's) fate.
There is some obvious borrowing from other classic fantasy tales but this does not remove the enjoyment. I like the way the author holds back on revealing any main baddies, which I'm sure will be exposed in the sequel. (which I'll now have to buy.)
One of the main questions for our protagonists is who knew what and when did they know it? Do Lily's parents know of the Moon Realm? Have their uncle's tales been true or just wishful thinking? Where is uncle Ebb?
These will now have to wait till I get the second book in what is being planned as a trilogy. (what isn't?)
Recommended for all ages. ( )
  jldarden | Apr 13, 2014 |
Uncle Ebb has disappeared. Lily and Jasper are trying to find clues as to where he may have gone when they come across a coin necklace. The necklace has characteristics from the moon realm which Uncle Ebb had told them stories about since they were young. Lily upon investigating the details of the coin is transported magically into the moon realm where adventures await her as she tries to find her way back home. A good fantasy story for young adults with much possibility given all the moons mentioned. ( )
  vibrantminds | Mar 11, 2014 |
From Barns & Noble:
Tales, unlike stories, never lie. You see, a tale is an account of things in their due order, often divulged secretly, or as gossip. Would you like to hear one? --Lord Autumn

Uncle Ebb was so good at telling his tales of the Moon Realm that sometimes it sounded like he'd been there himself.

As children, Lily and Jasper listened raptly to his bedtime tales of a place where nine moons swirled around one another, each inhabited by strange and wondrous beings: magical lunamancers; undersea merfolk; wise birds; winged dragons; and Lily's favorite, the heroic, leonine Rinn.

There was only one rule: don't tell a soul.

But now, years later, Uncle Ebb is missing. Lily has learned the secret behind the tales, and soon Jasper will too. But there's one big problem. You see, something terrible has happened in the Moon Realm. . . .

My Thoughts:
I loved the illustrations that accompanied the beginnings of each chapter. They were just enough to give the reader a small idea of what the people and things Lily encountered looked like without removing the possibilities forming in the reader's own imagination. This is a book I would've loved my mother to read to me when I was little as she read many other books. While the story is not the same caliber as the classics my mother read to me the story is one that the young can enjoy and identify with. Who hasn't wished that they could travel to a separate magical world and have adventures there.

The descriptions of everything are very rich and colorful bringing the moon realms to life. For awhile, though, the author seems to introduce a ton of characters all at once and it was a bit overwhelming and difficult to keep them all apart. There were a few times when I found myself flipping back a few pages in order to figure out who or what something was.

I would recommend this book to young readers and teenagers who want to escape the drama of much young adult fiction and just enjoy a fun adventure.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer's group. ( )
  LisaBost | Feb 26, 2014 |
I received a free copy of this book in the member giveaways.

I had a lot of fun reading this book. I plan to share this with my 13-year-old niece because I think she would enjoy it as much as I did. The book was a bit slow to start, but once we slipped out of the "real" world and into the middle of a great battle, the story took off and only rarely stopped to catch its breath.

The chapter illustrations were delightful. ( )
  S.Kay.Nash | Feb 4, 2014 |
Thanks to LibraryThing Early Reviewers for a Kindle edition of this book.

Richard Due's first novel of the Moon Realm trilogy is an enthralling read. It begins like an ordinary tale of a brother and sister living in a tree farm with their parents and their mysterious uncle, who, we learn, has gone missing for a good while. Once we venture into Uncle Ebb's mansion and meets its curiosities, the tale really takes off into uncharted territory. The adventures, the moons, the moon folk are all told delectably. As we learn more, there are more questions, and more tales from the past become enshrouded in mysteries anew. In this regard, The Moon Coin is perfect for a firs tin a trilogy.

The illustrations are vibrant and eye-catching. The tale is appropriate for younger kids, but engaging for adults who enjoy fantasy and mystery. I especially like the list of characters at the beginning, which help orient in the first few chapters, and also give a little glimpse of what's to come.

Recommended for those who like cats, swords, and dragons. ( )
  bluepigeon | Jan 5, 2014 |
“A great middle grade fantasy.”

"The Moon Coin is a fine and adventurous read for young adults, highly recommended."

Telling a wicked good tale is a talent, but making it sound believable is a gift. Even as young teens, Lily and Jasper Winter still love their uncle's bedtime tales. But they don't believe, as they once did, that the tales he spins are true, or that his fantastic paintings are from places he's actually been . . . that would be childish.

Now Uncle Ebb is missing.

Lily and Jasper are supposed to stay out of trouble while their parents search Ebb’s study, but his mansion is full of distractions. A Tesla generator thrums in the basement. Prismatic electrimals drift lazily around walls resembling underwater reefs. Then Oscar, a fuchsia-plumed flying seahorse, leads the siblings to a secret room, where the mystery of their uncle’s disappearance deepens. They’ve never seen Ebb without his golden necklace, yet there it is, with a curious coin dangling from it.

That night, Lily's careful examination of the coin yields unexpected results. To her surprise, it transports her to the Moon Realm, the setting of Uncle Ebb's bedtime tales. Lily is thrilled to meet the horse-sized, leonine Rinn and the lunamancers of Dain. But something is wrong. The inhabitants of the moons are no longer allies, and the heroic characters from the tales either don’t exist or are known only as myths. Worse, one of the moons appears to be dead, haunted by an evil villain named Wrengfoul. And no one seems to know what’s become of Ebb.

Illustrated by Carolyn Arcabascio. Volume One of the The Moon Realm Series.

Richard Due is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible